UiB – Knowledge that shapes society
Through robust and close interaction with the world around us – globally, nationally and locally – we shall be instrumental in building a society based on knowledge, skills and attitudes.
Do you want to take part in shaping the future?
(Video unable to load from YouTube. Accept cookie and refresh page to watch video, or click here to open video)
Postdoctoral Research Fellow position in Informatics – Cryptography
At the Department of Informatics there is a vacancy for a postdoctoral research fellow position in Informatics with specialization in cryptography.
The position is for a fixed term of 3 years and connected to the BoolTI project “Cryptographic Boolean Functions for Threshold Implementations”, financed by the Research Council of Norway.
The position is to start as soon as possible (February-March 2022)
About the department
Digitalization of businesses, industry, public administration, and education makes informatics play an increasingly important role in the development of the society. Research and education in informatics are crucial for the digital transformation of the society to succeed. The Department of Informatics contributes to this through seven research groups that deliver research and education at a high international level in algorithms, bioinformatics, information security, machine learning, optimization, programming theory and visualization. We are also building up a group in computer science didactics. The department offers education for the future at Bachelor, Master and PhD levels. The department is in rapid growth regarding its number of students, research directions, and employees. We have today about 900 students, and 150 employees, among which 37 are faculty and 70 PhD candidates. We have established the Center for Data Science (CEDAS) as an important extension of our research and education activities.
About the project/work tasks:
We are looking for an excellent candidate who has a strong desire to contribute to excellence through high international quality research and teaching. The working environment for this position will be the Selmer Center in Secure Communication.
The Selmer Center is one of the top ICT research groups with main research in areas of cryptography, Boolean functions, sequence design, coding theory, information security, and quantum information theory. The research related to this position will be conducted within the BoolTI project “Cryptographic Boolean Functions for Threshold Implementations” that aims to study Boolean functions used as building blocks in cryptographic ciphers and their Threshold Implementations in order to find efficient ways of preventing Side Channel Attacks.
We are seeking excellent candidates in the direction of Threshold Implementations and Boolean functions. We are particularly interested in applicants who excel both at mathematics and programming
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- Applicants must hold a Norwegian PhD or an equivalent degree in mathematics or computer science, with thesis related to cryptology. PhD-students may apply if defence of the PhD-thesis is to be completed by 31.01.2022. It is a condition of employment that the PhD has been awarded.
- Applicants must have a strong mathematical background.
- Applicants must have a considerable research experience in symmetric cryptography (in particular, threshold implementations) and/or cryptographic Boolean functions.
- Applicants must have excellent skills in oral and written English.
- Applicants must have excellent programming skills.
- Experience in teaching at university level, in particular of courses related to cryptology is an advantage.
- Experience in international activities such as participating in program or organizing committees of international conferences is an advantage.
- Experience in participating in or managing research projects is an advantage.
- Experience in supervising students at the Master and PhD level is an advantage.
- Applicants must be able to work independently and in a structured manner, and have the ability to cooperate with others.
- Personal and relational qualities will be emphasized. Research experience, ambitions and potential will also count when evaluating the candidates.
About the position of postdoctoral research fellow:
The postdoctoral position is a fixed term position with the primary objective of qualifying the appointee for work in top academic positions. 10% of the working time will be devoted to teaching and outreach activities at the Department of informatics.
Individuals may not be hired for more than one fixed-term period as a postdoctoral research fellow at the same institution.
For postdoctoral research fellow positions associated with externally financed projects, the completion of the project proposal for the qualifying work, as well as a progress plan, will be developed in cooperation with the supervisor and head of department.
It is a requirement that the project is completed in the course of the period of employment.
We can offer:
- A good and professionally stimulating working environment
- Salary at pay grade 61 (code 1352 / pay range 24, alternative 5) according to the state salary scale upon appointment. This constitutes a gross annual salary of NOK 535 500. Further promotions are made according to length of service. For particularly highly qualified applicants, a higher salary may be considered.
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- Good welfare benefits
Your application must include:
- A brief account of the applicant’s research interests and motivation for applying for the position.
- The names and contact information of at least two referees.
- Transcripts and diplomas. If you have not yet completed your PhD degree, please submit a statement from your institution confirming the expected date of award of your degree. Your PhD degree must be documented with transcripts and/or diploma, alternatively a confirmation from your institution on completed degree, by 31.01.2022.
- Relevant certificates/references
- List of any works of a scientific nature (publication list).
- Publications (as applicable).
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at JobbNorge by 04.01.2022.
For further details about the position, please contact:
For HR related matters, please contact Lene Sørheim.
Employment is subject to approval with respect to the Norwegian export control legislation.
We especially encourage women to apply. If multiple applicants have approximately equivalent qualifications, the rules pertaining to moderate gender quotas shall apply.
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
Further information about our employment process can be found here.
About The University of Bergen (UiB)
The University of Bergen is a renowned educational and research institution, organised into seven faculties and approximately 54 institutes and academic centres. Campus is located in the centre of Bergen with university areas at Nygårdshøyden, Haukeland, Marineholmen, Møllendalsveien and Årstad.
There are seven departments and several centres at Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences. Read more about the faculty and departments.
Read the job description at the university homepage
Apply for this job
4th January 2022
Post expires on tirsdag januar 4th, 2022