The University of Bergen (UiB) is an internationally recognised research university with more than 14,000 students and close to 3,500 employees at six faculties. The university is located in the heart of Bergen. Our main contribution to society is excellent basic research and education across a wide range of disciplines.
There is vacancy for four PhD positions in computer science at the Department of Informatics. The positions are for a fixed-term period of 3 years with the possibility of a 4th year. A PhD degree in computer science is highly requested by corporate organizations and academia.
About the project/work tasks
The department conducts research and education in algorithms, bioinformatics, optimization, visualization, security, and programming theory. A person who receives one of the announced positions will work towards receiving a PhD degree in one of these directions within the end of the period. A person who is hired for four years will, in addition, contribute to teaching, outreach and recruitment, as 25% of their time.
Qualifications and personal qualities
- Applicants must hold a master’s degree or the equivalent in computer science, informatics, mathematics or a related field, or must have submitted his/her master’s thesis for assessment prior to the application deadline. Master students can apply provided they complete their final master exam before 15.08.2018. The master’s degree must have been awarded before employment can happen.
- Applicants must have background from at least one of the fields algorithms, bioinformatics, optimization, visualization, security, or programming theory.
- Applicants must be interested in research and development, and be curious and motivated.
- Experience from teaching, for example as a teaching assistant, is an advantage.
- A good command of the Norwegian language is an advantage.
- Applicants must be proficient in both written and oral English.
- Applicants must be able to work independently and in a structured manner, and demonstrate good collaborative skills.
- Personal and relational qualities will be emphasized. Ambitions and potential will also count when evaluating the candidates.
About the PhD position
The fellowship will be for a period of 3 years, with the possibility for a 4th year, consisting of 25 % work related to teaching, recruitment or dissemination, distributed across the employment period. The 4th year is contingent on the qualifications of the candidate and the teaching needs of the department, and will be decided upon appointment. The employment period may be reduced if you have previously been employed in a qualifying post (e.g. research fellow, research assistant).
About the research training
As a PhD candidate, you must participate in an approved educational programme for a PhD degree within a period of 3 years. A final plan for the implementation of the research training must be approved by the faculty within three months after you have commenced in the position. It is a condition that you satisfy the enrolment requirements for the PhD programme at the University of Bergen.
We can offer:
- a good and professionally challenging working environment
- salary at pay grade 50 (Code 1017/Pay range 20, alternative 8) in the state salary scale. This constitutes a gross annual salary of NOK 436 900. Further promotions are made according to length of service in the position.
- enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- a position in an inclusive workplace (IA enterprise)
- good welfare benefits
Your application must include:
- a brief account of the applicant’s research interests and motivation for applying for the position
- a clear indication of which research direction you would like to pursue a PhD in, with a short project description
- the names and contact information for two referees. One of these should be the main advisor for the master’s thesis or equivalent thesis
- transcripts and diplomas showing completion of the bachelor’s and master’s degrees, or official confirmation that the master’s thesis has been submitted
- relevant certificates/references
- a list of any works of a scientific nature (publication list)
- any publications in your name
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at Jobbnorge.
For further details about the position, please contact Head of Department, Professor Pinar Heggernes.
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. Age and gender balance among employees is therefore a goal. It is also a goal to recruit people with immigrant backgrounds. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position. We encourage women to apply. If multiple applicants have approximately equivalent qualifications, the rules pertaining to moderate gender quotas shall apply.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions. Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
About this job
Sunday, June 3, 2018
University of Bergen
- Jobbnorge ID
- Internal ID
Post expires on Sunday June 3rd, 2018