Do you want to contribute to top quality medical research?
The Strategic Research Programme in Diabetes (SRP Diabetes) at Karolinska Institutet is funding a prestigious fellowship programme for postdoctoral research fellows. The Programme is focused on research in diabetes and its comorbidities. With this postdoctoral programme SRP Diabetes aims to support the next generation of exceptional young scientists within the diabetes area, including both experimental and clinical research. As part of this programme, we are now looking to recruit 4 outstanding postdoctoral research fellows. Full details on each project and contact information to the PIs can be found at: http://ki.se/en/srp-diabetes/postdoctoral-fellowships
Based at Karolinska Institutet, fellows will undertake a cutting-edge research project in a competitive lab and be part of the SRP Diabetes dynamic research environment where several events will be held throughout the year such as high-profile lectures, symposia, internal retreat, etc. which the fellows will attend
The fellowships are fully funded, and salary is provided for a 2-year period. It is our intention that the positions will start in the autumn of 2023, though some flexibility with the start date might be possible.
Research Project 3
Investigating DNA damage as a driver of adipocyte senescence and inflammation in obese, hyperinsulinemic individuals
Senescent cells, which can release factors that cause inflammation and dysfunction, increase in adipose tissue and associate with obesity and hyperinsulinemia. The proposed project will determine whether oxidative stress and DNA damage in human adipocytes drives adipocyte senescence, and the associated pro-inflammatory secretory profile. A small molecule approach to attenuate adipocyte DNA damage and reverse adipocyte senescence will be investigated.
Key responsibilities of the selected applicant:
Plan, manage and conduct an agreed academic research project and associated activities.
- Test hypotheses and analyse scientific data from a variety of sources, reviewing and refining working hypotheses as appropriate.
- Develop research questions, analyse detailed and complex qualitative and/or quantitative data from a variety of sources, and contribute original ideas for new research projects.
- Coordinate multiple aspects of work to deliver novel research data in accordance with established timelines set between you and the Principal Investigator.
- Adapt existing and develop new scientific techniques and experimental protocols to support research.
- Write research articles at an international level for peer-reviewed journals, book chapters, and reviews.
- Formally present your research and represent the research group at internal, national and international conferences and meetings, either with other members of the team or alone.
- Informally present your research to the group at established meetings.
- Act as a source of information and advice to other members of the group on scientific protocols and experimental techniques.
To be eligible for employment as a postdoctor a doctoral degree or a foreign degree deemed to be equivalent to a doctoral degree is required. This eligibility requirement must be fulfilled at the latest at the time of the employment decision. It is considered as an advantage if you have completed your doctoral degree within the last three years, if there are special reasons, your degree may have been completed earlier.
- A PhD in a medical/biological subject (latest completion date 2023).
- Demonstrated expertise in oxidative stress, mitochondria and DNA damage.
- The ability to manage your own academic research and associated activities.
- A strong CV, having published in high impact journals and presented at international meetings.
- Ability to contribute ideas for new research projects and research income generation.
- Ability to work with meticulous attention to detail.
- An enthusiastic interest in diabetes research.
- Evidence of excellent interpersonal skills and leadership, with the ability to communicate research ideas and results in a clear and logical way and the ability to confidently and effectively interact with colleagues and the broader research community.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English.
- A conscientious and enthusiastic working approach.
- Excellent planning, organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Experimental and theoretical knowledge of adipose tissue biology
- Microscopy (including confocal) and immunocytochemistry
Each Fellowship is for two years. We will prioritize applicants who have the opportunity to complete the project and be employed for two years. Preference should be given to those who were awarded a PhD or attained equivalent research competence no more than three years prior to the expiry of the application period for the position as postdoc.
How to apply
If you consider that you meet the selection criteria, click on the Login and apply button on this page and follow the on-screen instructions to register as a user. You will then be required to provide information in a number of screens with your application details, relating to your skills and experience. When prompted, please provide details of three references. You will also be required to upload a CV and Personal Letter which explains how you meet the selection criteria for the position. The Personal Letter (maximum two pages) should explain your relevant experience which may have been gained in employment, education, or you may have taken time away from these activities as illness, military service, work for labour unions or student organisations, parental leave or similar circumstances. Your application will be judged in part on the basis of how you demonstrate that you meet the selection criteria outlined above and we are happy to consider evidence of transferable skills or experience which you may have gained outside the context of paid employment or education.
Please save all uploaded documents to show your name and the document type.
The application is to be submitted through the Varbi recruitment system.
The closing date for applications is midnight CEST on Sunday 30th April, 2023.
Working at Karolinska Institutet
For further information about working at Karolinska Institutet, rules for visa/residence permit, insurance and accommodation please see: International staff
Want to make a difference? Join us and contribute to better health for all
Deadline: 2023-04-30 at 23:59
Unit: at one of KI’s departments
Read the job description at the university homepage or apply.
Post expires on Sunday April 30th, 2023
You must be logged in to post a comment.