One postdoc position is available in Computer Science Section, Department of People and Technology, Roskilde University, Denmark. It can start as soon as possible and will last for a period of 2 years.
Responsibilities and tasks
The recruited postdoc researcher will work on the research project Safeguarding Diversity in News Recommendation funded by VILLUM FONDEN’s Villum Synergy programme. News diversity is an important societal foundation for upholding democratic balance and avoiding polarization in the media, but it is being eroded by data, algorithms and artificial intelligence (AI) in the digital era. This project will investigate how the current situation is and how news recommendation models can be redesigned or adjusted to fit different normative goals of news diversity in a Danish context. The research project is interdisciplinary, assembling computer scientists, journalism researchers, and a news organization that will deploy and test the project’s research outcomes in its real setting. For the postdoc position, we look for someone with sufficient knowledge and research experience in recommendation, machine learning and/or NLP. The position will be affiliated to the Programming, Logic and Intelligent Systems (PLIS) research group (http://plis.ruc.dk) at Roskilde University.
Applicants are referred to the university’s Faculty expectations for specifications on the required level of qualifications within research, teaching, networking, fundraising, impact and outreach etc.
The following technical qualifications are also emphasized:
- Strong programming skills in at least one of Java, C/C++, C# and Python
- Software development and system implementation (practical product experience is a plus)
You must hold a PhD degree within computer science or a closely related discipline. Qualifications within at least one of the following scientific areas are required:
- Recommendation models and algorithms (experience in news recommendation is a plus)
- Machine learning (e.g., semi-supervised learning, transfer learning, deep models, efficient model training)
- Information extraction from multimedia and NLP (knowing Danish is not necessary but a plus)
The ideal candidate shall be enterprising and possess good communication skills (both oral and written English), be visible and involved in the department’s daily activities, in addition to being willing to engage in disciplinary and interdisciplinary collaboration across the department.
In the assessment of the candidates consideration will be given to;
- scientific production and research prospective,
- the ability to promote and utilize research results,
- ability to contribute to development of the department’s internal and external cooperation,
For further information about the postdoc, please contact project manager Professor Hua Lu on tel. (+45) 4674 2604 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Terms of employment
The employment is on full time and you will refer to Dean Andreas de Neergaard.
The position will be filled according to the Agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations (AC) and Job Structure for Academic Staff at Universities.
After the deadline for applications the Dean will shortlist applicants for assessment with assistance from the recruitment committee including the chairperson of the assessment committee.
Shortly after the application deadline all applicants will be notified whether or not their application has been selected for assessment.
The shortlisted applicants will be informed about the composition of the assessment committee, and each applicant will be given the opportunity to comment on the composition of the committee and – later on – their assessment.
Once the recruitment process is completed, all applicants will be informed of the outcome of their application.
To apply for the position go to www.ruc.dk/en/job/
Only applications in English are accepted.
Applications must include:
1. Cover letter
3. A research proposal about diversity in news recommendation. The proposal can be up to 5 pages, using Time New Roman, font size 12, margins=2cm and a line spacing of 1. It should include a number of research problems, preliminary ideas of possible solutions, and expected research outcomes (e.g., publications and software). It should also contain a time schedule for a period of 2 years. You are welcome to contact Professor Hua Lu regarding how to prepare the research proposal
4. Documentation of education
5. A complete list of publications
6. A maximum of 5 relevant scientific works that you want included in the assessment
If any of the publications that you want included in the assessment are the result of a joint effort, the extent and the nature of your contribution to each individual work must then be clarified in a co-author statement (find template here)
Please submit your application no later than October 16th 2022.
Material received after this date will not be taken into consideration.
Roskilde University wishes to reflect the diversity of society and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
Deadline: 2022-10-16 at 23:59
Unit: Institut for Mennesker og Teknologi
Post expires on Sunday October 16th, 2022