Independent research scholarship now available within the PhD program of social studies.
Department of Social Sciences and Business, Roskilde University, invites applications for a position as PhD of social studies from 1st of December 2019 or as soon as possible thereafter. The position as PhD is a salaried position limited to a period of 3 years.
The Doctoral School
You will be enrolled as a PhD student at the PhD program in Social Studies at The Doctoral School of Social Sciences and Business.
At the Social Studies PhD program we study the dynamic processes that take place between people, institutions and companies. The program gives you the skills to identify and analyze social and societal issues in a context of different societal models and social changes. You will receive theoretical and methodological tools for dealing with topics like citizenship, welfare, work, participation and power, inequalities related to gender, class and ethnicity, stigma, ethics, diversity, solidarity, cohesion and the role of research.
The Doctoral School is part of a dynamic community of researchers who share a commitment to understanding society in diverse contexts of change and global engagement. Researchers come from all over the world and engage in topics that are geographically, theoretically and methodologically diverse.
The Doctoral School of Social Sciences & Business (ISE) provides PhD training and research within an interdisciplinary, international, and professional environment.
Read more here https://ruc.dk/doctoral-school-social-sciences-and-business.
As a PhD student you will be associated with one or both of these research areas:
- Social dynamics and change: https://forskning.ruc.dk/da/organisations/social-dynamics-and-change
- Changing Societies: Welfare and diversity: https://forskning.ruc.dk/da/organisations/changing-societies-welfare-and-diversity
- Power, Identity and Critique: https://forskning.ruc.dk/da/organisations/magt-identitet-og-kritik/persons/
Responsibilities and tasks
- The PhD position is an educational position and the main tasks are in accordance with chapter 3, Ministerial Order on the PhD Program at the Universities and Certain Higher Artistic Educational Institutions (https://ufm.dk/en/legislation/prevailing-laws-and-regulations/education/files/engelsk-ph-d-bekendtgorelse.pdf).
You must hold a relevant master’s degree or equivalent within social science with high grades.
You are required to be enterprising and to possess good interpersonal skills and to be a visible, active participant in the department’s daily activities, in addition to being willing to engage in disciplinary and interdisciplinary collaboration across the department.
In the assessment regarding employment consideration will be given to;
- A Master’s degree or equivalent in social science (according to Danish Qualifications Framework for Higher Education: https://ufm.dk/en/education/recognition-and-transparency/transparency-tools/qualifications-frameworks/other-qualifications-frameworks/danish-qf-for-higher-education?set_language=en&cl=en).
- Any additional academic requirements stated in the job advertisement.
In the assessment regarding enrollment consideration will also be given to the following criteria:
- Educational skills and any further professional qualifications
- High grades in a master degree within the social sciences.
- Quality and relevance of the project description
- Consistency and coherence between the problem and the choice of method and theory
- Quality and relevance of the methodical and theoretical choices
- Considerations regarding ethical considerations must be included in your project description
- If the PhD project seem realistic and feasible
- Ability to complete the PhD project
- Relevance of the project to the profile of the Doctoral School
- Your project description must be no more than 5 pages plus reference list.
- A letter of recommendation from an academic institution regarding your previous academic work.
At RUC we cultivate a project and problem oriented approach to knowledge creation, because we believe that the most relevant results are obtained by solving real problems in collaboration with others. We employ an interdisciplinary approach because major issues are seldom understood properly within any single academic discipline alone. We also cultivate transparency, because we passionately believe that participation and knowledge-sharing are prerequisites for freedom of thought, democracy, tolerance and development.
For further information about the position, please contact program leader Rasmus Willig: email@example.com. For administrative or technical questions please contact: PhD coordinator Julie Skjold Omdal, firstname.lastname@example.org, +4546743851
Terms of employment
The employment is full time, 37 hours per week and you will refer to Head of Department Peter Kragelund.
The position will be filled according to the Agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations (AC) and Job Structure for Academic Staff at Universities.
After the deadline for applications – and with assistance from the appointment committee including the chairman of the assessment committee – The Head of department selects candidates to be assessed. All applicants will be notified whether or not their application has been selected for assessment. The applicants will be informed about the composition of the assessment committee and – later on – his/her assessment.
Applicants not selected for assessment shall not expect further information until the recruitment process has been completed, unless further applicants are selected for assessment later on in the recruitment process.
To apply for the position go to www.ruc.dk/en/job/
Only applications in English are accepted.
Applications must include:
1. Cover letter
3. Documentation of education including grades from Master’s programme or equivalent 4. Your description of the PhD project
5. Your time schedule of the PhD project
6. If applicable: Documentation for any research experience, work experience or publications.
Please submit your application no later than 1st of September 2019
Material received after this date will not be taken into consideration. Roskilde University wishes to reflect the diversity of society and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
Application due date
Read the job description at the university homepage
Roskilde University’s foremost task is to engage in experimental and innovative forms of learning, research and problem-solving that contribute to progress in society. We educate skilled, interdisciplinary graduates and produce scientific results of the highest quality through transparency, engagement and knowledge-sharing.
Roskilde University has 9000 students, 880 employees and an annual turnover of DKK 740 million.
Post expires on Sunday September 1st, 2019