Ref nr: ORU 2.1.1-01288/2019
Duties and responsibilities
A researcher shall spend their working hours mainly on research. The appointment may also include teaching, when there is a need within the organisation, to facilitate the researcher to acquire qualifications for a teaching appointment at the University. The share of teaching may not exceed a 20 per cent of a full-time post.
The bioinformatics researcher will investigate approaches for precision medicine as directly applicable in the translational setting. Initially, the focus will be on biomarkers for diagnosis, prognosis and prediction for specific treatment eligibility, with regards to cancer and inflammatory diseases. Specifically, the work will include whole genome sequencing (NGS) data analysis, microbiome analysis, especially optimization and new development of workflows as well as statistical learning or AI-based methods.
Teaching engagement will involve all levels of basic, advanced and PhD-level courses.
Those qualified for the appointment as a researcher are applicants who have obtained a doctoral degree in bioinformatics or similar field or have a degree from abroad deemed to correspond to a doctoral degree within these fields. You should be equipped with experiences from large molecular dataset analyses, as for example for genomic or OMICs datasets, as well as being familiar with clinical studies.
In addition to the other assessment criteria collaboration and suitability, further assessment criteria shall also apply. For these, there must be objective grounds based on the duties and responsibilities involved and the needs of the organisation. We welcome personal skills and abilities such as an ability to cooperate, power of initiative, as well as an interest in course development and educational development work.
Further assessment criteria:
- Scientific production: documented ability to publish sequence-based research in international scientific journals
- With respect to a major aim of Genomic Medicines Swedens being to sequence 45000 patients per year, specific weight is given to competence regarding automatic workflows for sequence data analysis. Documented experience about pipeline development is of special merit.
- Pedagogic merits should be documented as pedagogic merits portfolio.
- Research experience at national and/or international sequencing centers is a merit.
The duties require communicative skills, both in writing and in speech, in Swedish and English. A high degree of involvement in the operations on-site and a preparedness to take responsibility are considered to be of great importance.
The position as researcher is a full-time permanent position. The salary depends on the successful candidate’s qualifications and experience. Positions announced at Örebro University are, where appropriate, subject to a trial period.
The application is made online. Click the button “Apply” to begin the application procedure.
For the application to be complete, the following electronic documents must be included:
- A covering letter, outlining how you believe you can contribute to the continued development of Örebro University
- CV with a relevant description of your overall qualifications and experience
- An account of research/artistic qualifications
- Copies of relevant course/degree certificates and references verifying eligibility and criteria met
- Teaching portfolio (as instructed in Örebro University’s guidelines)
Only documents written in Swedish, English, Norwegian and Danish can be reviewed.
The application deadline is March 25th 2019. We look forward to receiving your application!
We decline any contact with advertisers or recruitment agencies in the recruitment process.
As directed by the National Archives of Sweden (Riksarkivet), Örebro University is required to deposit one file copy of the application documents, excluding publications, for a period of two years after the appointment decision has gained legal force.
Read the job description at the university homepage
Post expires on Monday March 25th, 2019