Postdoctoral positions – Quantum Computing Algorithms for Chemistry
The Department of Chemistry at University of Copenhagen has an opening for a postdoctoral fellow in Quantum Computing and its application to Chemistry. The position is within the focused research project “Hybrid Quantum Chemistry on Hybrid Quantum Computers”, recently funded by the Novo Nordisk Foundation. We are looking for an experienced programmer to work on the development of quantum chemistry algorithms for IBM’s noisy intermediate-scale (NISQ) quantum computers.
The “Hybrid Quantum Chemistry on Hybrid Quantum Computers” project is at the border of quantum computing and quantum chemistry. It is a joint effort of the research groups of professor Stephan P. A. Sauer at the Department of Chemistry at University of Copenhagen (UCPH), professor Sonia Coriani at the Department of Chemistry at the Technical University of Denmark (DTU), and professor Jacob Kongsted at the Department of Physics, Chemistry and Pharmacy at the University of Southern Denmark (SDU). Although this opening is for a position at the Department of Chemistry at University of Copenhagen, the position involves close collaborations with postdoctoral researchers and PhD students at DTU and SDU which will work jointly on different parts of this common project. The focused research project thus provides a vibrant scientific environment.
We offer a fixed-term employment contract of 30 months. The expected start date is 20. August 2023 or as soon as possible thereafter.
The University wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
Inquiries about the position can be made to Professor Stephan P. A. Sauer (email@example.com).
- Development of Quantum Algorithms for Quantum Chemistry on NISQ Quantum Computers
- Participation in the group meetings and activities of the “Hybrid Quantum Chemistry on Hybrid Quantum Computers” project
- A smaller amount of teaching activities in BSc or MSc courses at the Department of Chemistry, University of Copenhagen
Must be a recent PhD graduate within the last three years in Chemistry.
Additional Required Qualifications
- Experience with developing quantum computing algorithms for NISQ quantum computers
- Experience with programming correlated wavefunction quantum chemistry methods like Coupled Cluster or multi-reference self-consistent field methods.
- Experience with quantum computing software libraries like IBM’s Qiskit or Pennylane
- Understanding of modern electronic structure theory using correlated wavefunctions
Terms of employment
The position is covered by the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff.
Terms of appointment and payment accord to the agreement between the Danish Ministry of Taxation and The Danish Confederation of Professional Associations on Academics in the State.
Negotiation for salary supplement is possible.
Please send an application that describes your background and research interests. The application, in English, must be submitted electronically by clicking Apply for Position no later than 10 April 2023.
- Motivational letter
- Curriculum vitae
- Diplomas (Master and PhD degree or equivalent)
- Research Statement – description of previous experience with quantum computing and interests for the future
- Complete publication list
- Separate reprints of up to 3 particularly relevant papers
If possible, please list up to three scientists that you have worked with closely in your past research. (We will contact you for your consent if we wish to contact these.)
After the expiry of the deadline for applications, the authorized recruitment manager selects applicants for assessment on the advice of the Interview Committee.
Deadline: 2023-04-10 at 23:59
Unit: Faculty of Science
Read the job description at the university homepage or apply.
Post expires on Monday April 10th, 2023