The section of Engineering Design and Product Development, DTU Construct is searching for a strong PhD candidate within the area of product architecture. You will have a unique opportunity to work and do research in a strong collaboration between NKT Photonics and the Technical University of Denmark. The Ph.D. scholarship is one of two Ph.D. scholar ships at DTU Construct funded by NKT Photonics and DTU. The two Ph.D. projects will work closely together.
The objective of the Ph.D. project is to contribute to theory on modeling product and production architectures for products based on advanced and rapidly developing new technologies. The project focuses on how to model and visualize the architectures including market, product and supply chain, in particular, it is crucial to include relation to compliance requirements from markets, and production.
The position will give you an exceptional opportunity to work both with the managers at NKT Photonics and theoretically, at the university in such a way that you will be able to both make an academic contribution and see concrete solutions being implemented in NKT Photonics.
Responsibilities and qualifications
- You will become part of a research team working intensively with product and manufacturing architecture.
- You will be responsible for modelling the product variants and their production flow and develop the product and the manufacturing architecture
- You will contribute to the research conducted in our department on product and manufacturing architecture.
- Contribute to establishing a method for developing and implementing modular architectures
- Develop qualitative and quantitative operational and visual models of modular architectures
- Identify the optimal financial and technical trade-off criteria for making operational decisions within architectures
- Develop product and manufacturing strategies for supporting development of modular architectures
- Develop processes for operational governance of modular architectures
- Support lead development projects at NKT Photonics within the product and production architecture
- Support implementation of architectures in commercially available IT systems such as ERP, configurators, CAD, PLM and Plant design systems
- An engineering educational background within Product Development, Industrial Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering or Operational Manufacturing with top results
- Deep understanding of the interplay between design and manufacturing in relation to cost, lead time, manufacturing efficiency and quality
- Ability to work very systematically and visually
- Knowledge of modular architectures
- Ability to work cross disciplinary across e.g., R&D, manufacturing engineering, finance, and operations
You must have a two-year master’s degree (120 ECTS points) or a similar degree with an academic level equivalent to a two-year master’s degree.
Approval and Enrolment
The scholarship for the PhD degree is subject to academic approval, and the candidate will be enrolled in one of the general degree programmes at DTU. For information about our enrolment requirements and the general planning of the PhD study programme, please see DTU’s rules for the PhD education.
The assessment of the applicants will be made by Professor Niels Henrik Mortensen and Professor Lars Hvam.
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and appointment terms
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union. The period of employment is 3 years.
You can read more about career paths at DTU here.
Further information may be obtained from Professor Niels Henrik Mortensen, firstname.lastname@example.org, Professor Lars Hvam, email@example.com, Sara Johnsen, Sara.Helene.Markworth.Johnsen@nktphotonics.com, and Christian Bürger, Christian.Burger@nktphotonics.com.
You can read more about DTU Construct at www.construct.dtu.dk and NKT Photonics at www.nktphotonics.com.
If you are applying from abroad, you may find useful information on working in Denmark and at DTU at DTU – Moving to Denmark. Furthermore, you have the option of joining our monthly free seminar “PhD relocation to Denmark and startup “Zoom” seminar” for all questions regarding the practical matters of moving to Denmark and working as a PhD at DTU.
Your complete online application must be submitted no later than 29 March 2023 (Danish time). Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link “Apply online”, fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file. The file must include:
- A letter motivating the application (cover letter)
- Curriculum vitae
- Grade transcripts and BSc/MSc diploma (in English) including official description of grading scale
You may apply prior to obtaining your master’s degree but cannot begin before having received it.
Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
NKT Photonics develops state of the art fiber lasers and photonic crystal fibers – solutions used in Medical & Life Science, Industry, Aerospace & Defense, and Quantum & Nano Technology application areas. NKT Photonics provides cutting-edge solutions to its highly innovative customers, why customer collaboration and customized solutions are a core part of the product development. With an ambitious growth strategy, NKT Photonics continuously seeks to optimize processes and tools to ensure a short time to market in an industry where technology is under rapid development.
DTU Civil and Mechanical Engineering develops and utilizes science and technical knowledge for the benefit of society and the sustainable development. We undertake research, education, innovation, and scientific advice of the highest quality within building design and processes, building construction and safety, building energy and installation, solid mechanics, fluid mechanics, materials technology, manufacturing engineering, engineering design and thermal energy systems.
Technology for people
DTU develops technology for people. With our international elite research and study programmes, we are helping to create a better world and to solve the global challenges formulated in the UN’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals. Hans Christian Ørsted founded DTU in 1829 with a clear mission to develop and create value using science and engineering to benefit society. That mission lives on today. DTU has 13,500 students and 6,000 employees. We work in an international atmosphere and have an inclusive, evolving, and informal working environment. DTU has campuses in all parts of Denmark and in Greenland, and we collaborate with the best universities around the world.
Deadline: 2023-03-29 at 23:59
Read the job description at the university homepage or apply.
Post expires on Wednesday March 29th, 2023