Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering, Empirical Software Engineering in Software, Systems and Services
The University of Oulu is one of the biggest and most multidisciplinary universities in Finland. We create new knowledge and innovations that help to solve global challenges. We offer you an international and inspiring working environment where you are given responsibility and can use your skills, develop yourself and do work that matters. Our flexible and family-friendly workplace makes it easy for you to balance work and leisure. The University of Oulu is ranked in the top 3% of the world´s universities.
We are now looking for
a Postdoctoral Researcher
with experience and/or a demonstrated interest in digital health. The researchers will join a new transdisciplinary program – 6GESS – which focuses on 6G applications for health and energy system sustainability.
The University has recently launched a new multi-faculty strategic research program, “6GESS – 6G Enabled Sustainable Society”. This program capitalizes on 6G Flagship’s technological expertise to develop the scientific framework for a data-driven, hyper-connected future society in which digital health and future energy systems are intertwined. 6GESS looks into new technologies to help make healthcare and energy systems more democratic and efficient in the future. It also helps healthcare and energy providers and citizens become more involved in developing and using data-driven and digitized solutions.
The program’s point of departure is that to serve some of today’s pressing healthcare and energy challenges, researchers across the medical, natural, technical, and economic sciences need to collaborate and engage in impactful and creative scholarship and include non-scientific community members as part of their transdisciplinary research endeavors. By bringing together international scholars from across disciplines and encouraging effective public communication of science, 6GESS will promote and ensure the University remains a global leader in addressing the challenges of environmental change and biodiversity.
About the job
Primary duties attached to these positions:
- You will carry out both self-initiated and collaborative research on digital health
- You will lead and take part in activities that lead to high-quality academic publications
- You will engage in writing and submitting applications for research funding
- You will supervise early-stage researchers
- You will collaborate with program leaders and other researchers to further the aims of 6GESS, such as organizing thematic events and activities.
- You will participate in teaching activities, subject to faculty needs and the successful candidate’s interests.
What we offer?
- The University of Oulu and the 6GESS Research Programme offer a supportive academic environment in a community of committed scholars and the possibility to use funding opportunities to generate new research ideas and help build an innovative and internationally focused program.
- Wellness benefits ePassi, covering sport, culture, and well-being. Read more about other staff benefits here.
- Development and career options of the big organization.
- Work that matters and a workplace that promotes flexibility and work-life balance. Read more about working with us.
Who are you?
We invite applications from candidates across fields and disciplines who have strong research skills in technical, medical, and/or health sciences and are interested in pursuing work across and beyond disciplinary boundaries. Suitable candidates have the capability and passion for working on a research project examining, for example, digitalization of care pathways, health data sharing, digital therapeutics, patient and public involvement or advancing the digital competency of health professionals.
What we expect from you:
- A doctoral degree in a relevant field. We invite scholars with backgrounds in Technology, Information Systems, Software Engineering, Medicine, and Health (or related) research fields to submit applications. The degree must be received no more than 10 years ago.
- A transdisciplinary research orientation, with work anchored in approaches from across medical, health, and technical sciences that investigate aspects of eHealth.
- Capacity to collaborate in research and research dissemination activities.
- Proven track record of academic publishing.
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills, especially English (the working language of the 6GESS research program is English).
The positions are for a fixed term of four years. The positions are due to begin in August 2023 or as negotiated.
The salary will be based on levels 5-6 of the demand level chart for teaching and research staff of Finnish universities. In addition, a salary component based on personal work performance will be paid (a maximum of 50 % of the job-specific component). Starting gross salary will be approx. 3600-4200 € per month (before taxes).
A trial period of 6 months is applied for the position.
How to apply?
Interested? If yes, please apply by 30.04.2023 (23:59 Finnish local time) through our recruitment system.
The application should be written in English and include the following:
- CV, following the guidelines of the Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity
- Cover letter (max three pages), summarizing your professional experience and expertise, describing why you are interested in this position, and detailing your research interests, experience, and career plans.
- List of publications, following the guidelines of the Academy of Finland
- Contact details of 2 persons available for recommendation
The eligible applicants fitting best in the profile expected for the position will be invited to an on-site or remote interview. All applicants will be notified during the selection process.
We welcome applicants from different backgrounds, such as people of different ages, genders, and members of foreign language, cultural, or minority groups.
If you have any further questions, please get in touch with the coordinator of 6GESS, Sanna Tuomela (firstname.lastname@example.org)
|Type of employment||Temporary position|
|Contract type||Full time|
|Number of positions||1|
|Last application date||30.Apr.2023|
Read the job description at the university homepage
Post expires on Sunday April 30th, 2023