Doctoral Researcher, Fibre and Particle Engineering Research Unit
The University of Oulu is an international scientific community, with 15,000 students and 3,000 employees. The wide multidisciplinarity is a strength of the University both in education and research interests. The modern environment, world-class research infrastructures and extensive cooperation with international research institutes and private sector organizations provide excellent possibilities for research and innovation. More information https://www.oulu.fi/university/.
Fibre and Particle Engineering Research Unit (https://www.oulu.fi/en/university/faculties-and-units/faculty-technology/fibre-and-particle-engineering) carries out research in the field of advanced inorganic materials in circular economy. The multicultural research group consists of 50 people; 3 professors, 15 doctors and 24 doctoral students with more than 10 nationalities. We have an open and encouraging working atmosphere and have a substantial track record in attracting competitive funding including Horizon Europe and the Academy of Finland programmes.
We are now looking for a highly motivated
for the whole duration of the thesis work, four years to work in supplementary cements/construction materials/ceramics.
The motivation behind the study is the sustainable utilization of industrial side streams (such as, municipal solid waste incinerated residues, mine tailings) in construction applications, especially in supplementary cement or refractory ceramics. The work will consist of planning, conducting, and reporting of laboratory experiments. The work will be done in laboratory and will consist of design and execution of research plan with the aid of the laboratory staff. The work is both academically challenging and has a large industrial relevance and interest.
Part of the thesis work is recommended to be completed as a brief international research exchange (6 months maximum). The education requirements for Doctoral degree studies are given by the University of Oulu graduate school, UniOGS (University of Oulu Graduate School | University of Oulu). The position includes a maximum of 5 % teaching requirement or other infrastructural responsibilities.
What we expect
- We are looking for a highly motivated candidate with good analytical and problem-solving skills
- You must have a Master’s degree in process/ environmental/ civil engineering, materials/metallurgical science, inorganic chemistry or in a closely related field.
- We expect you to have knowledge in laboratory work. Exposure to material analysis technique(s) (spectroscopy, microscopy, diffraction) is considered as an advantage!
- You should have good communication skills in both written and spoken English
- Experience in relevant to building materials, material science, or inorganic chemistry is beneficial for the applicant.
What we offer
- You will become a part of a highly talented research group that is working on strategically and globally significant research area
- You will receive support from your team and supervisor, so that you can excel in your research
- In addition to modern research facilities, we offer you personnel benefits such as occupational healthcare and sports, culture & wellness benefits (epassi).
- The position is filled for a maximum of four-year period and the employment begins as soon as the candidate is chosen or as agreed (latest by October 1st, 2022). A six-month trial period will be applied to the position
- The salary is in accordance with the university salary system (for teaching and research personnel, level 2 – 4). In addition, a salary component based on personal work performance will be paid (maximum 50% of the job-specific component). In practice, the salary is roughly 2400 – 2500 € per month (before taxes) for an early-stage researcher, depending on the appointee’s qualifications and progress of the doctoral thesis.
How to apply
Applications, together with all relevant enclosures, should be submitted using electronic application form by August 26th, 2022 at 23:59 (Finnish local time). The application should be written in English and include the following:
1) A motivation letter (maximum 1 page) with a short description of personal research interests and specific research area, experience and career plans.
2) Curriculum vitae (max. 4 pages) in accordance with the guidelines of the Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity http://www.tenk.fi/en/template-researchers-curriculum-vitae
3) Certificates/Diplomas: Scanned copy of the Official record of transcripts and copy of degree certificate (and proof of language skill) and, when necessary, official translations to Finnish or English
4) List of publications based on the guidelines of the Academy of FinlandList of publications – Academy of Finland (aka.fi)
5) Contact information of 2-3 referees who may be asked to give a statement on the candidate
Top candidates will be invited to an on-site or remote interview.
Professor Mirja Illikainen
Dean of the Faculty of Technology
Dr. Juho Yliniemi
Dr. Priyadharshini Perumal
Adj.Professor, MarieCurie Fellow
City of Oulu
The Oulu region is home to over 200 000 people making it the largest urban centre in northern Scandinavia and one of the fastest growing regions in Finland. Oulu is a combination of beautiful, northern nature, vivid cultural life and modern technology. Oulu is also known for its highly-educated people and friendly, easy-going atmosphere. Find out more about Oulu: https://www.oulu.fi/university/living-in-oulu
Post expires on Friday August 26th, 2022