The University of Eastern Finland is inviting applications for an Early Stage Researcher, in Microbial Ecology of Ecosystems, position on the Kuopio campus. The position will be filled for a fixed 2-year term from 1 February 2022 (or starting date as agreed). Please find more information below and submit your application no later than 25 January 2022.
Role and salary
We are seeking a highly motivated candidate with experience in working in microbial ecology. The person to be appointed to this position will work at the Department of Environmental and Biological Sciences http://www.uef.fi/en/web/envbio in the biogeochemistry research group http://www.uef.fi/en/web/bgc in a project funded by Academy of Finland PI: Henri Siljanen. The project studies the nitrous oxide metabolism (production and consumption) in plant tissues and soils in the ecosystems in forests and peatlands.
The position requires a strong track record in working in the field and laboratory environments in studying biogeochemical pathways in the ecosystems. This includes also mastering in microbial ecological studies in various measurement techniques in addition to good command in relevant software packages (e.g. R, microbial community packages and command line programs).
The position enables the researcher to take part in supervising Bachelor and Master’s students, scientific writing, grant applications, scientific collaborations and teaching in suitable areas.
The salary of the position is determined in accordance with the salary system of the Finnish universities. The salary comprises two components: a job requirement component and a personal performance component. For an Early Stage Researcher, the job requirement component is 2,078.27 – 2,591.28 €/month, based on levels 2-4 of the job requirement chart for teaching and research staff. The personal performance component can be between 6-50 % of the above-mentioned sums. The estimated salary in the beginning of the employment will be approximately 2,288.00-3,162.00 €/month.
The position will be filled for a 2-year term from 1 February 2022 (or starting date as agreed). Possible continuation of the position can be agreed separately. The maximum duration of an Early Stage Researcher position is four years as total. The position will be filled for a fixed term due to it pertaining to a specific project. A probationary period is applied to all new members of the staff.
Our requirements and expectations
- The person to be appointed in the position shall hold a suitable master degree, e.g. Master’s in environmental sciences, microbiology, biotechnology or other relevant field. The degree may not have been completed more than five years ago at the time of accepting the position (a net period of time, which does not include parental leaves, military service etc.).
- Potential candidates should have a good command of the English language.
- Skills in isotopic activity measurements in the laboratory and in the field experiments, DNA extraction from soil and plant samples, quantification of genes and transcripts with quantitative PCR. Experience making experiments with metagenomic and metatranscriptomics, and knowledge on microbial culturing will be good for the candicate.
- Good communication and presentation capabilities as evidenced by contributions to scientific conferences
- The ability to work in international and multidisciplinary research teams
You will have access to the university’s staff benefits, including:
- extensive occupational health care,
- staff discount on lunch in our campus restaurants, as well as on a range of other services,
- affordable sports services.
Please read more in the Work at UEF section on our website.
You will have an opportunity to work in an interesting and diverse role as part of our international, creative, participatory and inclusive academic community.
Enjoy your life in Finland! Known for its cleanliness, welfare know-how, modern technology and superb education system, Finland is an exotic and safe country to work in. Please visit the Life in Finland section on our website to learn more.
How to apply?
Submit your application by using our electronic application form no later than 25 January 2022 (by 23.00 CET).
Please note that you must include the following appendices in your application:
- CV (http://www.tenk.fi/en/template-researchers-curriculum-vitae)
- a list of publications (https://www.aka.fi/en/research-funding/apply-for-funding/how-to-apply-for-funding/az-index-of-application-guidelines2/list-of-publications/)
- copies of your academic degree certificates/diplomas, and copies of certificates/diplomas relating to your language proficiency, if not indicated in the academic degree certificates/diplomas
- a motivation letter
For further information on the position, please contact Academy Research Fellow Henri Siljanen, email: email@example.com, tel. +358 29 445 3811.
For further information on the application procedure, please contact Executive Assistant Satu Turunen, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, tel. +358 29 445 3031.
University of Eastern Finland and the Faculty of Science and Forestry in brief
The University of Eastern Finland is one of the most multidisciplinary universities in Finland. We are home to 16,000 students and 2,750 staff members. Our research is ranked among the best in the world in several fields. We generate research-based knowledge and make it openly accessible for the benefit of all. UEF stands for action with impact that is relevant today and tomorrow. To learn more about our university please visit our website at www.uef.fi/en.
The Faculty of Science and Forestry operates on the Kuopio and Joensuu campuses of the University of Eastern Finland. The mission of the faculty is to carry out internationally recognised scientific research and to offer research-education in the fields of natural sciences and forest sciences. The faculty invests in all of the strategic research areas of the university. The faculty’s environments for research and learning are international, modern and multidisciplinary. The faculty has approximately 4,400 Bachelor’s and Master’s degree students and some 460 postgraduate students. The number of staff amounts to 560. http://www.uef.fi/en/lumet/etusivu
Post expires on tirsdag januar 25th, 2022