The University of Eastern Finland is inviting applications for a Postdoctoral Researcher, Molecular and Evolutionary Ecology on the Joensuu Campus. The position will start from 1.1.2023 (or as agreed). Please find more information below and submit your application no later than 7.12.2022. (application period has been extended)
Role and salary
As our new Postdoctoral Researcher (Molecular and Evolutionary Ecology) you will be working in the project “Genomic tools for the assessment of trait changes in managed fish populations”, funded by the Academy of Finland. The position is located in the Department of Environmental and Biological Sciences in the Faculty of Science and Forestry.
As our new Postdoctoral Researcher, your main responsibilities will include
- developing the genomic methods and bioinformatics for the needs of the project,
- writing high-quality scientific publications,
- developing new research questions and proposals as part of the research team, and
- participating teaching in courses relating to evolutionary ecology, genetics or fish ecology.
The project “Genomic tools for the assessment of trait changes in managed fish populations” develops novel SNP-based tools to map and monitor genetic variation in functionally relevant loci and to understand how human-induced selection shapes the evolution of behaviour and life-histories in salmonid fishes. The candidate loci will be identified through a series of controlled experiments and analyses that aim to reveal associations between phenotypic trait variation, survival and genomic variation. We will use both whole genome sequencing and RAD-sequencing for genome-wide scans, while for the more specific genotyping of large number of fish we will utilize SNP panels, and to lesser extent, microsatellites. The project is shared between the University of Eastern Finland and Natural Resources Institute Finland (LUKE), and the Postdoctoral Researcher is expected to work at UEF but in close collaboration with the geneticists of LUKE and our international partners.
We are looking for an ambitious candidate with demonstrated skills in genome-wide association analyses and good writing skills. We use brown trout (Salmo trutta) as our model species, and the work supports the conservation and management of this iconic species. We offer access to historical and contemporary sample collections originating both from experiments and natural locations, and support the work by excellent experimental facilities and ability to use large number of fish including established second generation crosses between two distinct life-history types. The host research group (https://uefconnect.uef.fi/en/group/the-research-group-of-aquatic-ecology-and-behavioural-ecology/) is active and productive, and the Postdoctoral Researcher can participate also in other genomic work at the department and LUKE including other animal species supporting strong publishing output and excellent career development.
Experimental work takes place at the Kainuu Fisheries Research (www.kfrs.fi) station in Paltamo, located 270 km north from Joensuu, while most genomic lab work is conducted in Jokioinen, located in Southern Finland close to Turku and Helsinki. The work may require occasional visits to Helsinki, Jokioinen and Paltamo, and supports attendance in international meetings.
The position will be filled from 1.1.2023 to 31.12.2025 (or starting date as agreed). The position will be filled for a fixed term due to it pertaining to a specific project.A probationary period is applied to all new members of the staff.
The salary of the position is determined in accordance with the salary system of the Finnish universities. The salary comprises two components: a job requirement component and a personal performance component. In this position, the job requirement component is 3,044.00 €/month, based on level 5 of the job requirement chart for teaching and research staff. The personal performance component can be a minimum of 6% and a maximum of 50% of the above-mentioned sum. Depending on the personal performance component, the salary will be approximately 3,534–3,717 €/month at the beginning of the employment relationship.
Our requirements and expectations
- the person to be appointed as Postdoctoral Researcher is expected to hold a doctoral degree from an applicable field. The doctoral degree may not have been completed more than five years ago at the time of starting of the position (a net period of time, which does not include parental leaves, military service etc.)
- good skills in oral and written English. English is used as the language of instruction and supervision in this position.
- demonstrated publishing skills,
- passionate interest on human-induced evolution and its genomic mechanisms.
You will have access to the university’s staff benefits, including
- extensive occupational health care,
- the opportunity for flexible multi-location work,
- staff discount on lunch in our campus restaurants, as well as on a range of other services,
- affordable sports services.
Please read more in the Work at UEF section on our website.
You will have an opportunity to work in an interesting, meaningful and diverse role as part of our international, creative, participatory and inclusive academic community.
Enjoy your life in Finland! Known for its cleanliness, welfare know-how, modern technology and superb education system, Finland is an exotic and safe country to work in. Please visit the Life in Finland section on our website to learn more.
How to apply?
Submit your application by using our electronic application form no later than 7.12.2022 (by 24.00 hours Finnish time).
Please note that you must include the following appendices in your application
- CV (https://tenk.fi/en/advice-and-materials/template-researchers-curriculum-vitae),
- a list of publications (https://www.aka.fi/en/research-funding/apply-for-funding/how-to-apply-for-funding/az-index-of-application-guidelines2/list-of-publications/),
- copies of your academic degree certificates / diplomas, and copies of certificates / diplomas relating to your language proficiency, if not indicated in the academic degree certificates/diplomas,
- a motivation letter (max two pages describing in English, why would you be a suitable person to study human-induced evolution at genomic level in brown trout and what are your personal ambitions in science),
- five of your publications demonstrating required skills as a single pdf file,
- other documents to demonstrate the applicant’s merits for the position.
For further information on the position, please contact: Professor Anssi Vainikka, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, tel. +358 29 4453014.
For further information on the application procedure, please contact: Human Resources Secretary Noora Hämäläinen, email: email@example.com, tel. +358 29 445 8302.
University of Eastern Finland and the Faculty of Science and Forestry in brief
The University of Eastern Finland is one of the most multidisciplinary universities in Finland, offering education in nearly 100 major subjects. We have a staff of 2,750 members, and our academic community comprises around 16,000 degree students and more than 27,000 adult education students. Our campuses are located in Joensuu and in Kuopio. Our research is ranked among the best in the world in several fields. We generate research-based knowledge and make it openly accessible for the benefit of all. UEF stands for action with impact that is relevant today and tomorrow. To learn more about our university please visit our website at www.uef.fi/en.
The Faculty of Science and Forestry operates on the Kuopio and Joensuu campuses of the University of Eastern Finland. The mission of the faculty is to carry out internationally recognised scientific research and to offer research-education in the fields of natural sciences and forest sciences. The faculty invests in all of the strategic research areas of the university. The faculty’s environments for research and learning are international, modern and multidisciplinary. The faculty has approximately 4,400 Bachelor’s and Master’s degree students and some 460 postgraduate students. The number of staff amounts to 630. http://www.uef.fi/en/lumet/etusivu
Post expires on Wednesday December 7th, 2022