This is NTNU
NTNU is a broad-based university with a technical-scientific profile and a focus in professional education. The university is located in three cities with headquarters in Trondheim.
At NTNU, 9,000 employees and 42,000 students work to create knowledge for a better world.
You can find more information about working at NTNU and the application process here.
(Video unable to load from YouTube. Accept cookie and refresh page to watch video, or click here to open video)
About the position
We have a vacancy for a Postdoc position at the Department of Engineering Cybernetics (ITK) at NTNU.
The postdoc position is a temporary position where the main goal is to qualify for work in senior academic positions.
The Postdoc in this position will be responsible for managing a group of PhD students (6 students), developing his/her own research, and developing new research funding applications. The position will provide a solid experience for higher-level academic positions.
You will report to Prof. Sebastien Gros (Head of Department)
Duties of the position
The Postdoc in this position will:
- Help managing the work of the research group of Prof. Sebastien Gros. He / she will be involved in the research and preparation of the group publications. The group currently involves 6 PhD students and another postdoc. The research of the group is focusing on Model Predictive Control (MPC) under uncertainties, learning for MPC, and Reinforcement Learning. The applied research of the group includes the control of autonomous vehicles and the optimization of smart buildings.
- Develop his / her own research and publish scientific articles preferably in line with the interests of the group.
- Help developing new research proposals for funding acquisition.
Required selection criteria
- You must have completed a doctoral degree recognized as equivalent to a Norwegian PhD degree
- You must have a professionally relevant background in MPC, Reinforcement Learning, optimization, data-driven techniques and statistics.
- You must have excellent levels in academic writing, and a strong capability at writing solid research papers (structure, style, clarity, etc.)
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant
Preferred selection criteria
- You should have a strong interest in learning and performing the tasks of a more senior academic position, i.e. supervising PhD students and MSc students, developing publications with these students, organizing the research, writing research applications.
- A strong level in mathematics is desirable.
- Solid coding skills are desirable (Python, Julia, C, Matlab, etc)
• A team-oriented and collaborative mindset is preferred
• Analytic reasoning
• Strategic thinking, creative and resourceful
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
As a Postdoctoral Fellow (code 1352) you are normally paid from gross NOK 553 500 per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is of 2 years.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution on a daily basis.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English.
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that applications are only evaluated based on the information available on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
If, for any reason, you have taken a career break or have had an atypical career and wish to disclose this in your application, the selection committee will take this into account, recognizing that the quantity of your research may be reduced as a result.
The application must include:
- CV, certificates and diplomas
- transcripts and diplomas for bachelor’s-, master’s- and PhD degrees.
- Academic works – published or unpublished – that you would like to be considered in the assessment (up to 5 items)
- Research plan
- Name and address of three referees
If all, or parts, of your education has been taken abroad, we also ask you to attach documentation of the scope and quality of your entire education. Description of the documentation required can be found here. If you already have a statement from NOKUT, please attach this as well.
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal and interpersonal qualities. Motivation, ambitions, and potential will also count in the assessment of the candidates.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment – DORA.
Working at NTNU
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background.
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
Information Act (Offentleglova), your name, age, position and municipality may be made public even if you have requested not to have your name entered on the list of applicants.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Prof. Sebastien Gros: email@example.com
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Diploma Supplement is required to attach for European Master Diplomas outside Norway. Chinese applicants are required to provide confirmation of Master Diploma from China Credentials Verification (CHSI).
If you are invited for interview you must include certified copies of transcripts and reference letters. Please refer to the application number 2022/807 when applying.
Application deadline: 15.03.2022.
NTNU – knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Engineering Cybernetics (ITK)
Engineering cybernetics is the study of automatic control and monitoring of dynamic systems. We develop the technologies of tomorrow through close cooperation with industry and academia, both in Norway and internationally. The Department contributes to the digitalization, automation and robotization of society. The Department of Engineering Cybernetics is one of seven departments in the Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering.
Read the job description at the university homepage
Apply for this job
15th March 2022
Post expires on tirsdag marts 15th, 2022