School of Engineering Sciences in Chemistry, Biotechnology and Health at KTH
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
The research will be conducted in division Biocomposites at the Department of Fibre and Polymer Technology. The Biocomposites group works in a multidisciplinary framework, with competences ranging from cellulose and polymer chemistry to mechanics and processing of composites and molecular dynamics modeling. The scientific interest is new material concepts, where structural and functional properties are combined. Material components include nanocellulose, plant fibers, wood, biopolymers, and are used in nanomaterial systems such as aerogels, foams, biocomposites, polymer matrix nanocomposites, inorganic hybrids etc. The post doctor will work directly with Asst. Prof. Yuanyuan Li.
Printed electronics have gained remarkable attention recently and bring new opportunities to traditional electronic industry. Substrate plays a key role as it determines the device processing and eligibility for applications. Paper substrate is of interest in the context of sustainability, low cost, flexibility, etc. Printability is often an issue as the paper absorbs materials into the porous structure, winkles after solvents from inks (e.g. water) evaporate, etc. The current project aims to develop green cellulose modification approaches to solve the issues.
The position includes research on the modification of cellulose. The project studies the interaction of nanocellulose with water and the printability of nanocellulose-based composites for electronics. The tasks include planning and implementation of experimental materials research, data analysis, and reporting in scientific journals. The experimental work may include material processing, material characterization, e.g. electron microscopy, mechanical testing and some theoretical analysis. The Pos doctor is expected to contribute actively to the joint activities of the research group, e.g. through supervision of master’s students, collaboration with doctoral students, etc.
What we offer
- A position at a leading technical university that generates knowledge and skills for a sustainable future
- Engaged and ambitious colleagues along with a creative, international and dynamic working environment
- Works in Stockholm, in close proximity to nature
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH
- A doctoral degree or an equivalent foreign degree in chemistry, chemical engineering, fibre and polymer technology, polymer science, materials chemistry, or corresponding competences, this eligibility requirement must be met no later than the time the employment decision is made.
- Strong interest in cellulose materials and paper electronics.
- Experience in materials preparation, SEM, FTIR, and mechanical testing. The candidate should have strong engineering science skills and have good publication record.
- Experience and knowledge of advanced laboratory equipment.
- Good oral and written proficiency in English as required in daily work.The candidate should also be structured, be able to work independently at high pace and also be analytical and have problem-solving skills. It is important to have good communication skills and be skilled in scientific discussions on advanced topics in English. Furthermore, we see that you are creative, have good collaboration skills plus a high level of personal maturity. Great emphasis will be placed on personal competency.
- A doctoral degree or an equivalent foreign degree, obtained within the last three years prior to the application deadline
- Experience in laboratory work related to polymers, composites, cellulose fibers or related topics.
It is preferable if you have Awareness of diversity and equal opportunity issues, with specific focus on gender equality.
Trade union representatives
You will find contact information to trade union representatives at KTH’s webbpage.
Log into KTH’s recruitment system in order to apply to this position. You are the main responsible to ensure that your application is complete according to the ad.
1. CV including relevant professional experience and knowledge.
2. Copy of diplomas and grades from your previous university studies. Translations into English or Swedish if the original documents have not been issued in any of these languages.
Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
About the employment
The position offered is for, at the most, two years.
A position as a postdoctoral fellow is a time-limited qualified appointment focusing mainly on research, intended as a first career step after a dissertation.
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
|Type of employment||Temporary position longer than 6 months|
|Contract type||Full time|
|First day of employment||According to agreement|
|Number of positions||1|
|Last application date||30.Nov.2022 11:59 PM CET|
Deadline: 2022-11-30 at 23:59
Unit: School of Engineering Sciences in Chemistry, Biotechnology and Health at KTH
Post expires on Wednesday November 30th, 2022