KTH Royal Institute of Technology, EECS
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
Third-cycle subject: KTH Information and Communication Technology
The advertised doctoral student positions are within an ambitious, 5-year European Research Council (ERC) Consolidator Project titled “ULTRA”. In this 2 Million EUR project, we want to dramatically change the way Internet Services are constructed. In detail:
Your work will entail design, implementation, and evaluation of distributed systems and networks for building ultra-low latency Internet services. Special emphasis will be paid to low latency, resilient frameworks for machine learning (including distributed and federated learning). Examples of other services to be built include advanced highly streamlined server software, Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) chains at the true speed of the underlying hardware, intra datacenter load-balancing, agile and efficient geo-distributed data storage systems that meet their Service Level Objectives, and scheduling data requests across the entire Internet.
Supervision: you will be part of the Network Systems Laboratory (NSLab), with your studies supervised by Professor Dejan Kostic and Assistant Professor Marco Chiesa. In addition to your doctoral studies, you will be expected to teach or perform other department duties up to 20% of full-time.
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic and international research environment in collaboration with industries and prominent universities from all over the world.Read more
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH’s Doctoral student salary agreement.
- A postgraduate education at an institution that is active and supportive in matters pertaining to working conditions, gender equality and diversity as well as study environment.
- Work and study in Stockholm, close to nature and the water.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH.
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 § Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a degree at advanced level,
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 higher education credits at advanced level, or
- in any other way acquired within or outside the country acquired essentially equivalent knowledge.
- Requirements for English equivalent to English B/6, read more here.
In order to succeed as a doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. During the selection process, candidates will be assessed upon their ability to:
- independently pursue his or her work
- collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach and
- analyse and work with complex issues.
After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal qualities and personal suitability.
Target degree: Doctoral degree
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those admitted to postgraduate education may be employed as a doctoral student. The total length of employment may not be longer than what corresponds to full-time doctoral education in four years ‘ time. An employed doctoral student can, to a limited extent (maximum 20%), perform certain tasks within their role, e.g. training and administration. A new position as a doctoral student is for a maximum of one year, and then the employment may be renewed for a maximum of two years at a time.
You will find contact information for union representatives on KTH’s website.
Doctoral section (Students’ union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
You will find contact information for doctoral section on the section’s website.
Apply for the position and admission through KTH’s recruitment system. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/entral European Summer Time).
Applications must include the following elements:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copies of diplomas and grades from previous university studies and certificates of fulfilled language requirements (see above). Translations into English or Swedish if the original document is not issued in one of these languages.
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
|Type of employment||Temporary position longer than 6 months|
|Contract type||Full time|
|First day of employment||Enligt ö.k|
|Salary||Monthly salary according to KTH’s doctoral student salary agreement|
|Number of positions||2|
|Contact||Dejan Kostic, firstname.lastname@example.org Marco Chiesa, email@example.com Tysse Norlindh Falk, firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Last application date||08.Jan.2021 11:59 PM CET|
Post expires on Friday January 8th, 2021