KTH Royal Institute of Technology
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
The division of Software and Computer Systems (SCS) at the Department of Computer Science (CS), KTH, is looking for an excellent candidate for one postdoctoral position in the area of scalable machine learning (ML), deep learning (DL), and reinforcement learning (RL). The successful candidate will join the distributed computing group (https://dcatkth.github.io), in which the research is directed towards fundamental aspects of software and computer systems with a focus on distributed computing, decentralized ML, and scalable platforms for data-intensive computing and ML. In particular, the position is associated with the following sub-topics:
- Decentralized DL/RL: Scale out DL/RL algorithms to support massive experiments with many model parameters.
- Generalization in RL: Develop RL agents that can perform well in new environments, different from the training environments.
- Automated ML: Build automated algorithms to make an end-to-end ML pipeline smartly. In particular, to build algorithms that utilize search optimization methods for selecting pipeline configurations, e.g., to automate feature engineering under model assumptions and computational constraints, or to automate the neural architecture search.
What we offer
We are offering a two-year postdoctoral position, in which the successful candidate will conduct research in the aforementioned research areas, interact with doctoral and master students, and be involved in collaborative work in national and international projects. She/he will also contribute to scientific publications, as well as to new grant applications.
- International workplace.
- A leading technical university that creates knowledge and expertise for a sustainable future.
- Here you get colleagues with high ambitions in an open, curious and dynamic environment.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH
Applicants must hold or be about to receive a doctoral degree in Computer Science (or equivalent). The doctoral degree must have been obtained within the last three years from the application deadline (some exceptions for special grounds, for instance sick leave and parental leave). The candidate should have a strong background at distributed systems, machine learning, deep learning, and reinforcement learning. The successful applicant should have an outstanding research and publication record, as well as experience in developing systems and applications. Strong skills in modern machine learning frameworks (e.g., TensorFlow, Keras, PyTorch) is a requirement. We are looking for a strongly motivated person, who is able to work independently, as well as in an international research team. Well-developed analytical and problem solving skills are a requirement. Good command of English orally and in writing is required to present and publish research results.
The applicant should have a well-established international research collaboration network as should be indicated by visits, guest talks or internships outside applicant’s home institutions. Moreover, the applicant should have a gook knowledge in data-intensive computing frameworks (e.g., Apache Spark). Track record in contributing to Open-Source is a plus.
Great emphasis will be placed on personal competence and suitability.
Trade union representatives
You will find contact information to trade union representatives at KTH’s webbpage.
The application should contain the following:
- CV including relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Copies of diplomas and grades from your previous university studies. Translations to English or Swedish if the original documents are not issued in one of these languages.
- A research statement on why you want to conduct research in areas of scalable ML/DL/RL, about your academic interests and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals; max 2 pages long.
- Representative publications or technical reports: Document no more than 10 pages each. For longer documents (eg dissertations), attach a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
- Contact information for two reference persons. We reserve the right to contact references only for selected candidates.
Log into KTH’s recruitment system in order to apply to this position. You are the main responsible to ensure that your application is complete according to the ad.
Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
Temporary employment for up to 2 Years, or by agreement.
About the employment
The position offered is for, at the most, two years.
A position as a postdoctoral fellow is a time-limited qualified appointment focusing mainly on research, intended as a first career step after a dissertation.
Gender equality, diversity and zero tolerance against discrimination and harassment are important aspects of KTH’s work with quality as well as core values in our organization.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
|Type of employment||Temporary position longer than 6 months|
|Contract type||Full time|
|First day of employment||As agreement|
|Number of positions||1|
|Contact||Amir Payberah, firstname.lastname@example.org Tysse Norlindh Falk, email@example.com|
|Last application date||15.Jul.2020 11:59 PM CET|
Post expires on Wednesday July 15th, 2020