Kungliga Tekniska högskolan, School of EECS
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as in architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
The Department of Electronics invites applications for one position as doctoral student in the area of embedded system design with focus on a correct-by-construction design process for mixed-criticality systems.
In a mixed-criticality system several applications with individual design constraints of different criticality share the same platform. The design process has to ensure that hard design constraints will always be satisfied in the final implementation, which is a considerable challenge because applications may interfere with each other due to shared resources. Furthermore, applications with soft or best-effort constraints should be optimized for performance. The development of a correct-by-construction design flow for mixed-criticality systems is a major challenge and requires a sound formal foundation, a systematic approach, and the development of new scientific methods and tools.
The successful applicant will be a member of the ForSyDe group at KTH. ForSyDe is a formal system design methodology based on the theory of models of computation and is the base for activities in several European and national projects. ForSyDe comprises system modeling, design space exploration and system synthesis and envisions an automated correct-by-construction design flow from system-level specification down to an implementation on a multiprocessor system-on-chip platform. The successful applicant is expected to conduct research within the development of this correct-by-construction design flow, which also involves cooperation with national and international partners.
Activities and Responsibilities
The position is for five years where 80% of the time is typically spent on doctoral studies and up to 20% on departmental duties which normally amount to involvement in teaching and supervision. Doctoral student employment at KTH offers excellent conditions with competitive salaries, health care, social security, and contributions to pension funds.
The applicant should:
- Hold a Master of Science degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or equivalent.
- Have very good analytical and programming skills.
- Have good communication skills in both oral and written English.
The ideal candidate also has knowledge in one or more of the following areas:
- System Modeling, Synthesis Tools and Compilers, Functional Programming, Hardware/Software Co-Design, FPGAs, Embedded Software, Embedded System Design, and Real-time Systems.
Besides strong technical, analytical and problem solving skills, the candidate is expected to be curious, ambitious and strongly motivated to conduct research. The candidate should have the ability to work both individually and in teams.
Trade union representatives
You will find contact information to trade union representatives at KTH:s webbpage.
The application must include the following documents:
- Cover letter: a one-page summary of your application.
- Curriculum vitae: a document of up to four (4) pages, including all your relevant academic, professional and other achievements, and experience.
- An official copy of the MSc (or equivalent) degree certificate and academic transcript. For applicants in the process of obtaining the MSc (or equivalent) degree, they must state with supporting document the expected date of degree completion.
- Recommendation letters: Please send together with your application at least two (2) recommendation letters. Please also include detailed contact information for at least two (2) references (including the two you arranged for).
- Statement of purpose: Please state why you wish to pursue a doctoral degree in these research topics,giving an account of your academic interests and your background. Maximum two (2) pages long.
- Representative publications or technical reports: Please provide, if any, up to maximum two (2) documents, no longer than ten (10) pages each. For longer documents (e.g., project theses), please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
Log into KTH’s recruitment system in order to apply to this position. You are the main responsible to ensure that your application is complete according to the ad.
Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
|Type of employment||Temporary position longer than 6 months|
|Contract type||Full time|
|First day of employment||In agreement with supervisor|
|Salary||Monthly salary according to KTH:s Doctoral student salary|
|Number of positions||1|
|Last application date||09.Apr.2018 11:59 PM CET|
Post expires on Monday April 9th, 2018