Karolinska Institutet, Institutet för miljömedicin
The Institute of Environmental Medicine (IMM) is a department at Karolinska Institutet and an interdisciplinary research institution within the broad field of environmental medicine. IMM conducts cutting edge research within the areas of environmental and occupational medicine, toxicology, physiology, epidemiology, and biostatistics with the aim to clarify how environmental and lifestyle factors affect our health and which role genes have. IMM also serves as a scientific advisor to public authorities within the area of environmental medicine and IMM scientists participate in national and international expert groups.
Epidemiology at the Institute of Environmental Medicine (IMM)
The epidemiological research at IMM is focused on advancing knowledge about disease etiology and prognosis with an emphasis on environmental and lifestyle factors, and on methodological development and stringency. The research is based on large register based cohorts, as well as cohorts and case-control studies with extensive information from questionnaires and biological samples. Miguel Hernán, Kolokotrones Professor of Biostatistics and Epidemiology at the Departments of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, Boston, USA is currently a Visiting Professor of Epidemiology at IMM, and the Postdoctoral researchers will have the opportunity to work together with Professor Hernán. We are now looking for three Postdoctoral Researchers for a 24-month Postdoctoral position.
The Postdoctoral Researchers are expected to conduct epidemiological research of relevance for public health epidemiology, cancer epidemiology, cardiovascular epidemiology, pharmacoepidemiology or relevant clinical epidemiology. One particular area will be comparative effectiveness research, with an emphasis on causal inference methods for complex longitudinal data from both observational studies and randomized trials, e.g. to assess effects of interventions on cardiovascular disease, cancer, and others. Other epidemiological research areas can also be covered depending on the interests of the applicant. The research will mainly be based on data from Swedish and Nordic population and health data registers, including also health care quality registers. The Postdoctoral Researchers are also expected to participate as teachers in epidemiology.
To be eligible, the applicant must have:
- A doctoral degree related to epidemiology, statistics, or a related quantitative field.
- A formal education in epidemiology or statistics.
- Experience in handling large databases, excellent data management skills and a solid knowledge of common statistical software (as a minimum SAS and R).
Competences, skills and experiences considered meritorious:
- Excellent writing skills and excellent command of written and spoken English.
- An ability to collaborate with colleagues within and beyond the group, and to communicate with authorities, data holders and other data owner groups.
- Previous supervision of PhD or Master students.
- Formal pedagogical training.
- Prior experience working in research outside of IMM.
A person is eligible for a Postdoctoral position if he or she has obtained a PhD no more than seven years before the last date of employment as postdoc.
An employment application must contain the following documents in English or Swedish:
- A complete curriculum vitae, including date of the thesis defence, title of the thesis, previous academic positions, academic title, current position, academic distinctions, and committee work
- A complete list of publications
- A summary of current work (no more than one page)
- Verifications for crediting of illness, military service, work for labour unions or student organisations, parental leave or similar circumstances
- Verification from the thesis defence committee or the equivalent (only if the thesis defence is scheduled within three months after the application deadline)
The application is to be submitted through the Varbi recruitment system.
|Type of employment||Temporary position longer than 6 months|
|Contract type||Full time|
|First day of employment||According to agreement|
|Number of positions||3|
|Working hours||100 %|
|Last application date||22.Oct.2018 11:59 PM CET|
Post expires on Monday October 22nd, 2018