Application closes on
Department of Management Studies
Doctoral Candidate Positions
Aalto University is a community of bold thinkers where science and art meet technology and business. We are committed to identifying and solving grand societal challenges and building an innovative future. Aalto has six schools with nearly 11 000 students and a staff of more than 4000, of which 400 are professors. Our campuses are located in Espoo and Mikkeli, Finland.
The Aalto University School of Business is one of the leading business schools in Europe. The School has the three most important international quality accreditations (AACSB, AMBA, EQUIS) in the field. The School of Business is an innovative and lively community of about 3500 students and 400 members of faculty and staff. In 2018, Business Administration placed 34th and Management 36th in the one of the world’s most respected university rankings, the Shanghai Rankings.
Aalto University School of Business invites applications for:
2 Doctoral Candidates in sustainable business (100%)
Aalto University School of business is looking to hire a junior academic interested in research and teaching in the domain of sustainable business. The position is within the Organizations and Management discipline in the Department of Management Studies of Aalto University Business School (http://management.aalto.fi). The department hosts a strong sustainable business and corporate responsibility research group (https://www.aalto.fi/en/department-of-management-studies/sustainability-in-business-sub) . The group is specialized in innovations towards sustainability, including circular economy, sustainability transitions, inclusive innovations and energy system disruption. In addition to active publishing, the group is active in collaboration with companies and other stakeholders as well as creating societal impact. The department also has a very competitive group of strategy, organization theory and human resource management researchers who publish in leading management journals. Moreover, the department has a lively, international research community with numerous doctoral students and post-doctoral researchers from several countries. The working language at the department is English.
Department of Management Studies has existing research on sustainability innovation, business models for sustainability, alternative economies, and organizing for sustainability. This work offers a basis for rethinking how businesses operate, how new actors and individuals can make contributions to sustainability and how sustainability debates unfold across the societies and different global contexts.
The first contract period is 2 years. The positions enable qualified students to obtain a PhD degree in Organization and Management. The work is expected to lead to scientific publications in international academic journals
The first position is linked to a new large-scale research project in the field of circular economy in textiles. The research of the candidates is expected to be within the following topics
- Sustainability transition towards circular textile systems
- Organizational and institutional conditions for new business models in circular economy
- Polycentric governance of circular economy
- Intervention and policy strategies geared towards circular economy
The second positions is expected to contribute one of the core areas of the Sustainability in Business –research group:
- circular economy
- sustainability transitions
- sustainability innovation
- business models for sustainability
- organizing for sustainability
- energy system disruption
- inclusive innovations for poverty alleviation
- Master degree in relevant discipline
- Track record of conducting high quality master thesis
- Excellent English language skills (written and verbal)
- Good communication skills
- Ability to collaborate in research groups, ability to pursue research independently and good self-management skills
- High level of commitment and motivation
- Before starting in the position, the doctoral candidate must be officially admitted to the doctoral program of Aalto BIZ, this includes a valid GMAT or GRE score. More information can be found in: https://into.aalto.fi/display/endoctoralbiz/How+to+apply
The position offers:
- Thriving sustainability research community
- Stimulating research and working environment in one of the leading international universities
- Possibility to pursue cutting-edge research with a wide community of sustainability scholars and dedicated practitioners through the newly established Aalto Sustainability Hub.
- Possibility to attend of international academic conferences
- A salary, which will be defined according to Aalto University´s payroll system.
For those interested in the doctoral candidate position, send your written application enclosing all relevant documents (cover letter, CV, names of referees) by Sept. 15, 2019 by clicking on the ‘Apply for this job’ link below. Those chosen for the second round will be asked to send to their 5-page research proposals by Oct. 30, 2019.
For inquiries, contact Prof. Minna Halme (minna.halme(at)aalto.fi), professor Prof. Samuli Patala (Samuli.patala(at)aalto.fi) and Jouni Juntunen (jouni.juntunen(at)aalto.fi)
Aalto University reserves the right for justified reasons to leave the position open, to extend the application period and to consider candidates who have not submitted applications during the application period.
Read the job description at the university homepage
Post expires on Sunday September 15th, 2019