Lunds universitet, Naturvetenskapliga fakulteten,
Lund University was founded in 1666 and is repeatedly ranked among the world’s top 100 universities. The University has around 44 000 students and more than 8 000 staff based in Lund, Helsingborg and Malmö. We are united in our efforts to understand, explain and improve our world and the human condition.
Lund University welcomes applicants with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We regard gender equality and diversity as a strength and an asset.
It is widely recognized that the expansion of silica biomineralization in the oceans has affected evolutionary competition for dissolved Si (DSi). This resulted in changes in the global biogeochemical cycles of silica, carbon and other nutrients that regulate ocean productivity and ultimately climate. Today, low DSi reflects its efficient uptake by diatoms. However, little is known about biological uptake of DSi by different phytoplankton other than diatoms. It has been suggested that Prasinophytes for example could have played a more important role than previously thought. The goal of the project is to investigate the importance of biosilicification in non-obligatory silicifying phytoplankton during the Mesozoic.
The main duties involved in this post-doctoral position is to conduct research. Teaching may also be included, but no more than 20% of working hours. The position shall include the opportunity for three weeks of training in higher education teaching and learning.
Tasks will be:
- Extract phytoplankton from sediments preserving both organic matter and amorphous silica.
- Clean and separate phytoplankton from oceanic water.
- Describe phytoplankton both under light microscope, scanning electron microscope (SEM) and with Electron backscatter diffraction (EDS).
- Assess the taxonomy of non-obligatory silicifying phytoplankton
- Writing manuscripts
- Administration related to the work duties listed above
Appointment to apost-doctoral position requires that the applicant has a PhD, oran international degree deemed equivalent to a PhD, withinthe subject of the position, completed no more than three years before the date of employment decision. Under special circumstances, the doctoral degree can have been completed earlier.
- A PhD in Paleontology.
- Very good oral and written proficiency in English.
- Practical experience in chemically extracting phytoplankton.
- Experience in working with samples from marine sediment archives.
- Practical experience in imaging phytoplancton and in electron backscatter diffraction.
- Experience of taxanomy in early Mesozoic phytoplankton.
- Knowledge to connect variation in biomineralisation of organisms with the biogeochemical changes in the environment.
Assessment criteria and other qualifications
This is a career development position primarily focused on research. The position is intended as an initial step in a career, and the assessment of the applicants will primarily be based on their research qualifications and potential as researchers.
- Particular emphasis will be placed on research skills within the subject.
For appointments to a post-doctoral position, the following shall form the assessment criteria:
- A good ability to develop and conduct high quality research.
- Teaching skills.
Consideration will also be given to good collaborative skills, drive and independence, and how the applicant’s experience and skills complement and strengthen ongoing research within the department, and how they stand to contribute to its future development.
Terms of employment
This is a full-time, fixed-term employment of a maximum of 2 years. The period of employment is determined in accordance with the agreement “Avtal om tidsbegränsad anställning som postdoktor” (“Agreement on fixed-term employment as a post-doctoral fellow”) between Lund University, SACO-S and OFR/S, dated 1stFebruary 2022.
Instructions on how to apply
Applications shall be written in English and be compiled into a PDF-file containing:
- CV, including a list of publications,
- A general description of past research including knowledge and experience regarding the requirements for the position (no more than two pages).
- Contact information of at least two references,
- Copy of the doctoral degree certificate, and other certificates/grades that you wish to be considered.
|Type of employment||Temporary position longer than 6 months|
|Contract type||Full time|
|First day of employment||2022-09-01 or according to agreement|
|Number of positions||1|
|Last application date||08.Jul.2022 11:59 PM CEST|
Deadline: 2022-07-08 at 23:59
Unit: Department of Geology, Faculty of Science
Post expires on Friday July 8th, 2022