The University of Stavanger invites applications for two research fellowships in risk management at the Faculty of Science and Technology, Department of Safety, Economics and Planning.
The appointment is for three years with research duties exclusively. The position is vacant from 1 January 2020.
This is a trainee position that will give promising researchers an opportunity for academic development leading to a doctoral degree.
The research area of the position is risk management which includes concepts, principles, methods and models for understanding, analysing, describing, communicating and managing risk. Relevant topics for the positions include risk science research related to climate change risk, risk and policy, risk and resilience, and automated risk assessment.
We are looking for applicants with a strong academic background who have completed a five-year master degree (3+2) within risk management, preferably acquired recently; or possess corresponding qualifications that could provide a basis for successfully completing a doctorate.
To be eligible for admission to the doctoral programmes at the University of Stavanger both the grade for your master’s thesis and the weighted average grade of your master’s degree must individually be equivalent to or better than a B grade.
Applicants with an education from an institution with a different grade scale than A-F should attach a confirmed conversion scale that shows how the grades can be compared with the Norwegian A-F scale.
Emphasis is also placed on your:
- motivation and potential for research within the field
- ability to work independently and in a team, be innovative and creative
- ability to work structured and handle a heavy workload
- having a good command of both oral and written English
- varied duties in a large, exciting and socially important organisation
- an ambitious work community which is developing rapidly. We strive to include employees at all levels in strategic decisions and promote an informal atmosphere with a flat organisational structure
- salary in accordance with the State Salary Scale, l.pl 17.515, code 1017, NOK 479.600,- gross per year with salary development according to seniority in the position.
- automatic membership in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund, which provides favourable insurance- and retirement benefits
- favourable membership terms at a gym and at the SIS sports club at campus
- employment with an Inclusive Workplace organisation which is committed to reducing sick leave, increasing the proportion of employees with reduced working capacity, and increasing the number of professionally active seniors
- “Hjem-jobb-hjem” discounted public transport to and from work
- as an employee in Norway, you will have access to an optimal health service, as well as good pensions, generous maternity/paternity leave, and a competitive salary. Nursery places are guaranteed and reasonably priced
- relocation programme in event of moving to Norway, including support and language courses for spouses
The appointee will be based at the University of Stavanger, with the exception of a stay abroad at a relevant centre of research.
It is a prerequisite that the appointee has a residence which enables him or her to be present at/available to the academic community during ordinary working hours.
The University currently employs few female research fellows within this academic field, and women are therefore particularly encouraged to apply.
The position has been announced in both Norwegian and English. In the case of differences of meaning between the texts, the Norwegian text takes precedence.
More information on the position can be obtained from Professor Terje Aven, tel: (+47)51832268, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, from Professor Roger Flage, tel: (+47) 51831908, e-mail: email@example.com, or from Head of Department, Professor Tore Markeset, tel: (+47) 51832191, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information about the appointment procedure can be obtained from HR-advisor Margot A.Treen, tel: (+47) 51831419, e-mail: email@example.com.
To apply for this position please follow the link “Apply for this job”. Register your application and CV including relevant education and work experience. In your application letter you must show your research interests and motivation to apply for the position.
The following documents must be uploaded as attachments to your application in separate files:
- list of publications
- other documentation that you consider relevant
The documentation must be available in either a Scandinavian language or in English. If the total size of the attachments exceeds 30 MB, they must be compressed before upload. Information and documentation to be taken into account in the assessment must be submitted within the application dealine. Contact details for three references must be provided in the application or upon request.
Please note that information on applicants may be published even if the applicant has requested not to be included in the official list of applicants – see Section 25 of the Freedom of Information Act.
UiS only considers applications and attachments registered in JobbNorge.
UiS – challenge the well-known and explore the unknown
The University of Stavanger (UiS) has about 12,000 students and 1,700 employees. We are the only Norwegian member of the European Consortium of Innovative Universities. The university has high ambitions. We will have an innovative and international profile, and will be a driving force in knowledge development and in the process of societal change. Together with our staff and students, we will challenge the well-known and explore the unknown.
Department of Safety, Economics and Planning is part of the Faculty of Science and Technology. The department carries out research and offers study programs at all levels within Risk Management, Societal Safety, Industrial Economics and Regional and urban planning. Our goal is to be an international leading research environment in the field. There are currently 100 employees including research fellows and postdocs, and 600 students at the department.
Read the job description at the university
Apply for this job
1st November 2019
Post expires on Friday November 1st, 2019