Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences
University of Copenhagen
This fully funded PhD student position is anopportunity to work in the Department of Biomedical Sciences in the lab ofAssistant Professor Thomas Jepps commencing October 2019 or as soon as possiblehereafter.
Our group and research
The Jepps VascularResearch Group has a long-standing interest in how arterial tone is regulatedand the molecular mechanisms that contribute to vascular diseases, such ashypertension and atherosclerosis. Recently, the Jepps lab has been interestedin the role of the microtubule network in smooth muscle cells of the arterialwall.
Thisposition is intended for an ambitious and talented individual interested inapplying their skills to the discipline of vascular physiology. Applicantsshould have prior knowledge and experience of working with either themicrotubule network or within vascular physiology. Applicants should haveundertaken training in patch-clamp electrophysiology and have experience withcertain molecular biology techniques, such as immunostaining withsuper-resolution microscopy, Western blotting and quantitative PCR. Additional desirable skills includeexperience working with rodents, arterial dissection and myography, howeverthese are not essential. You will be expected to work closely with othermembers of a growing team, therefore excellent communication skills areessential.
Applicantsshould hold, or be close to completing, an MSc within a relevant field ofphysiology, pharmacology or a related discipline.
You will berequired to:
- Work with the principal supervisor to manage your own academic research and administrative activities;
- Be creative and contribute intellectually to the project, including generating new ideas and defining how you would test your theories in order to give new insights into the project;
- Adapt existing and develop new scientific techniques and experimental protocols;
- Collaborate in the preparation of scientific reports and journal articles;
- Represent the research group at external meetings/seminars, either with other members of the group or alone;
- Attend PhD courses to obtain the necessary ECTS points.
- Undertake a limited amount of teaching of undergraduate medical students, usually in the form of practical or tutorial exercises.
Principal supervisor is Assistant Professor Thomas Jepps firstname.lastname@example.org
Duration: 3 years as a PhD student
Your key tasks as a PhD student at SUND are:
- Carry through an independent research project under supervision
- Complete PhD courses or other equivalent education corresponding to approx. 30 ECTS points
- Participate in active research environments including a stay at another research team
- Obtain experience with teaching or other types of dissemination related to your PhD project
- Teach and disseminate your knowledge
- Write a PhD thesis on the grounds of your project
Key criteria for the assessment of applicants
Applicants must have qualifications corresponding to a master’s degree relatedto the subject area of the project e.g. physiology
Otherimportant criteria are:
- The grade point average achieved
- Professional qualifications relevant to the PhD project
- Relevant work experience
- Other professional activities
- Curious mind-set
Theapplicant should be comfortable speaking English at a high level, enabling themto confidently present at conferences and discuss complex scientific ideaswithout being restricted by language.
Place of employment
The place of employment is at the Department ofBiomedical Sciences, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, University ofCopenhagen. We offer creative and stimulating working conditions in dynamic andinternational research environment. Our research facilities include modernlaboratories and a strong national and international network of collaborators.
Terms of employment
The employment as PhD fellow is full time and for 3 years.
It is conditionedupon the applicant’s successful enrolment as a PhD student at the Graduate Schoolat the Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Copenhagen. Thisrequires submission and acceptance of an application for the specific projectformulated by the applicant and supervisor.
The PhD study must be completed in accordance with TheMinisterial Order on the PhD programme (2013) and the Faculty’s rules onachieving the degree. Salary, pension and terms of employment are in accordancewith the agreement between the Ministry of Finance and The DanishConfederation of Professional Associations on Academics in the State. Dependingon seniority, the monthly salary begins around 27,135 DKK, plus pension.
For specificinformation about the PhD fellowship, please contact the Assistant ProfessorThomas Jepps.
General information about PhD study at theFaculty of Health and Medical Sciences is available at the Graduate School’swebsite: https://healthsciences.ku.dk/phd/guidelines/
Your applicationmust be submitted electronically by clicking ‘Apply now’ below. The applicationmust include the following documents in PDF format:
1. Motivated letter of application (max. onepage)
2. CV incl. education, experience, languageskills and other skills relevant for the position
3. Master of Science diploma and transcript ofrecords. If not completed, a certified/signed copy of a recent transcript ofrecords or a written statement from the institution or supervisor will do
4. Publication list (if possible)
Application deadline: Monday 26th August2019, 23.59pm CET
We reserve the right not to consider materialreceived after the deadline, and not to consider applications that do not live upto the abovementioned requirements.
The further process
After the expiry ofthe deadline for applications, the authorized recruitment manager selectsapplicants for assessment on the advice of the hiring committee. All applicantsare then immediately notified whether their application has been passed forassessment by an unbiased assessor.
The assessor makes a non-prioritized assessmentof the academic qualifications and experience with respect tothe above-mentioned area of research, techniques, skills and other requirementslisted in the advertisement. Once the assessment work has been completed eachapplicant has the opportunity to comment on the part of the assessment thatrelates to the applicant him/herself.
You can read about the recruitment process at http://employment.ku.dk/faculty/recruitment-process/
The applicant will be assessed according to the Ministerial Order no. 242 of 13 March 2012 on theAppointment of Academic Staff at Universities.
Interviews will be conducted and anappointment made before the end of September 2019. You will be expected tostart before December 2019.
The Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences comprisesapproximately 7500 students, 1500 PhD students and 3200 employees. The Facultyadvances the field of health sciences through its core activities: research,teaching, knowledge sharing and communication. With basic research fieldsranging from molecular studies to studies of society, the Facultycontributes to a healthy future through its graduates, researchfindings and inventions benefitting patients and the community. The Universityof Copenhagen wishes to reflect the surrounding community and invites allregardless of personal background to apply for the position.
Part of the International Alliance of Research Universities (IARU), and among Europe’s top-ranking universities, the University of Copenhagen promotes research and teaching of the highest international standard. Rich in tradition and modern in outlook, the University gives students and staff the opportunity to cultivate their talent in an ambitious and informal environment. An effective organisation – with good working conditions and a collaborative work culture – creates the ideal framework for a successful academic career.
Deadline: 26 August 2019
Unit: Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences
Campus: Department of Biomedical Sciences
Read the job description and apply online
Post expires on Monday August 26th, 2019