At the Grieg Academy – Department of Music there is a vacancy as a research fellow (100%) in artistic research within the professional area of music composition. The appointment is for a fixed-term period of four years, of which 25 per cent comprises required duties. The required duties may be in the form of teaching, exam work or supervision, according to the needs of the department.
About the project/work tasks:
The candidate who receives the position will take part in a cross-disciplinary research project entitled “Sounding Philosophy” in the music composition area at the Grieg Academy, University of Bergen. This research project has an interdisciplinary focus, expanding the research field of music composition as a social and interdisciplinary discipline. For more information about the project see https://www.researchcatalogue.net/view/634973/634974
Applications will be assessed in light of the artistic activities and research competence at the department and appropriateness to the research project. Applicants are requested to familiarize themselves with the profile of artistic research at the department and faculty in the design of the project, see: https://kmd.uib.no/no/forskning.
The advertised position as an artistic research fellow is intended for an artist and researcher who will integrate musical composition, music technology as well as a secondary research field i.e. from the natural sciences or the humanities. The application should propose artistic research in the area of music composition and music technology that explores relationships between artistic expression, scientific discovery and philosophical exploration.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- Applicants must have a master’s degree in music composition or corresponding education. The degree must be completed within the application deadline.
- Applicants must have experience in artistic practice and production at a high national or international level.
- Applicants must demonstrate competence in the field of music technology, and demonstrate insight within a secondary field of knowledge, i.e. from the sciences or the humanities.
- Applicants must be able to work independently and in a structured manner, and have the ability to cooperate with others.
- Applicants must have good written and verbal English skills
- Emphasis will be placed on personal qualities. Ambitions and potential will also be considered when assessing candidates.
The following conditions apply for the appointment:
The employment period may be reduced if you have previously been employed in a recruitment position.
About the research training: As a PhD candidate, you must participate in an approved educational program for an artistic PhD degree within a period of 3 years. A final plan for the implementation of the research training must be approved by the faculty within three months after you have started work in the position. It is a condition that you satisfy the enrolment requirements for the PhD programme at the University of Bergen.
We can offer:
- Exciting development opportunities as part of your role in a strong professional environment
- Salary at pay grade 54 (Code 1017/Pay range 20, alternative 10) in the state salary scale. This currently amounts to an annual salary of NOK 472.300 before taxes. Further promotions are made according to qualifications and length of service in the position. Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- Good welfare benefits
Your application must include:
- Project description of maximum 3,000 word
- Documentation of relevant artistic production in the form of audio and/or video recordings.
- Documentation of formal professional competence
- Budget (see our website)
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at Jobbnorge.
Detailed information about the position can be obtained by contacting: Detailed information about this appointment may be obtained by contacting: Head of Department Randi Rolvsjord at tel. + 47 – 55 58 73 00/+ 47 975 14 878 or the research project leader Dániel Péter Biró at tel. +47 905 68 135.
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
We encourage women to apply. If multiple applicants have approximately equivalent qualifications, the rules pertaining to moderate gender quotas shall apply.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
The successful applicant must comply with the guidelines that apply to the position at all times.
For further information about the recruitment process, click here.
Life as a PhD candidate at UiB
Marion Claireaux tells about life and work as a PhD candidate at UiB.
About The University of Bergen
The University of Bergen is a renowned educational and research institution, organised into seven faculties and approximately 54 institutes and academic centres. Campus is located in the centre of Bergen with university areas at Nygårdshøyden, Haukeland, Marineholmen, Møllendalsveien and Årstad.
There are three departments at Faculty of Fine Art, Music and Design. Read more about the faculty and departments.
Read the job description at the university homepage
Apply for this job
11th August 2019
Post expires on Sunday August 11th, 2019