Kungliga Tekniska högskolan,
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
Third-cycle subject: Information and Communication Technology
The Software Engineering and Computer Systems (SCS) department at KTH is looking for an excellent candidate for a PhD student position in the area that lies between distributed systems, machine learning and data-intensive computing systems. The selected candidate is expected to have a strong background in distributed systems corresponding to the KTH SEDS master program and a passionate interest in issues within at least one of the above mentioned areas.
The announced postgraduate position mainly concerns the SSF project “CDA: Continuous Deep Analytics”, which aims to develop the basis for computer programming systems that follow two main areas of research: (i) Algorithms, programming languages and optimization for continuous analysis of data streams, relational and linear algebra and dynamic graphs; (ii) Distributed Runtime for complex and fast hardware accelerators (GPU, FPGA) as well as data-parallel processing of large-state data streams. This ad refers to the distributed runtime.
The PhD student will join a strong team of senior researchers, postdoctoral researchers and software engineers to contribute to the basic design and development of the next generation open source software for data analysis. The group has regular discussion meetings and frequent interaction with other leading universities, as well as a clear vision and aim for high quality publications in the leading forums in the field.
The position is limited to four years, but may, conditioned on up to 20% department duties, e.g., teaching and supervision, be extended to five years. The doctoral student should be enrolled at KTH and the application process for being admitted to the doctoral study program is initiated in conjunction with the employment. Doctoral student employment at KTH offers excellent conditions with competitive salaries, health care, social security, and contributions to pension funds. The preliminary starting date is September 1, 2019
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic international research environment in close cooperation with industries and advanced universities the world over.
- Life-long network through KTH’s Alumni organization.
- A personal study plan to support your development within your areas of interest.
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH’s doctoral student salary agreement.
- Work and study in Stockholm, one of Europe´s fastest growing capitals, which is close to both nature and the sea.
- Help to relocate and get settled in Sweden and at KTH.
- Our research group offers a friendly working environment and the main language used is English. We perform foundational and systems research in the areas of big data analytics, data intensive computing, distributed systems, Cloud and autonomic computing
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 § Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a degree at advanced level,
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 higher education credits at advanced level, or
- in any other way acquired within or outside the country acquired essentially equivalent knowledge.
The applicant must have strong academic credentials; written and spoken English proficiency.
In order to succeed as an doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. In the selection of the applicants, the following will be assessed:
- ability to independently pursue his or hers work,
- ability to collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach,
- analyse and work with complex issues and
- Practical problem solving skills and creativity; motivation for doctoral studies.
Target degree: Doctoral degree
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those who are or have been admitted to third-cycle studies may be employed as a doctoral student. The term of the initial contract may not exceed one year and may thereafter be extended. Doctoral students may engage in teaching, research, and administration corresponding to a maximum of 20 % of a full-time position.
You will find contact information for union representatives on KTH’s website.
Doctoral section (Students’ union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
You will find contact information for doctoral section on the section’s website.
Apply for the position and admission through KTH’s recruitment system. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/entral European Summer Time).
Applications must include the following elements:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copy of the degree certificate(s) and transcripts of records from your previously attended university-level institutions. Translations into English or Swedish if the original documents are not issued in one of these languages.
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
Gender equality, diversity and zero tolerance against discrimination and harassment are important aspects of KTH’s work with quality as well as core values in our organization.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
|Type of employment||Temporary position longer than 6 months|
|Contract type||Full time|
|First day of employment||According to agreements|
|Salary||Monthly salary according to KTH’s doctoral student salary agreement|
|Number of positions||1|
|Contact||Seif Haridi, firstname.lastname@example.org, Tysse Norlindh Falk, email@example.com|
|Last application date||02.Jun.2019 11:59 PM CET|
Post expires on Sunday June 2nd, 2019