Applications are invited for postdoctoral fellowships within biotechnology-based synthesis and production research. These fellowships support fundamental and applied research projects aimed at generating products in improved and more sustainable ways. Fellowships must be based at a university or other non-profit research institution in Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway or Sweden.
Projects must involve a clear element of biotechnology, and may in addition utilize any other scientific and engineering discipline relevant to achieve the objectives. Projects should include one or more of the following topics:
- Use or engineering of biological tools and systems for synthesis and production of valuable products (for example, chemicals, fuels, bioactive compounds, proteins, materials as well as fibre, food and feed products).
- Development of technologies and processes that can directly support biotechnology-based synthesis and production.
- Improvement of the production potential of microorganisms, plants, animals, or enzymes.
- Biotechnology to improve raw material utilization, reduce energy consumption and/or decrease waste generation.
Projects must contain a laboratory component and show a clear and plausible path from the proposed research to applications in the area of biotechnology-based synthesis and production.
An applicant must either:
– have a PhD or equivalent degree obtained within 6 years of the application deadline date.
– be a PhD student who will defend her/his thesis before November 1, 2019.
The applicant must consult with the planned supervisor at the Nordic host institution before submitting the application. To utilize the fellowship, a recipient must be accepted as a postdoctoral employee at the host institution.
The postdoctoral fellowship period can be from 1 to 3 years. The duration of the fellowship should reflect the time frame of the research activities.
At least 1 year of a fellowship must be used at the Nordic host institution. For applicants currently based at a Nordic host institution who have not conducted research in another country, a research period with a minimum of 6 and maximum of 12 months in total at a laboratory in another country will be considered as a positive element for the postdoctoral training, but is not a requirement.
Funding up to DKK 800.000 per year is available for expenses including the fellowship recipient’s own salary and direct project costs. An additional amount up to DKK 100.000 in total is available for costs related to a 6-12 month stay at a collaborating laboratory in another country.
Applications must be completed and submitted using the NNF’s application system following the instructions in the “Information and guidelines for applicants” pdf, found at the link below when the system opens. Additional essential information regarding eligibility, funding and submission requirements is found in this pdf.
Application system opens
December 20, 2018
Deadline for applications
January 30, 2019 at 14:00
Earliest fellowship start date
May 1, 2019
Latest fellowship start date
March 1, 2020
John Peter Wittschieben
Senior Scientific Officer
Tlf.: +45 3527 6613
Post expires on Wednesday January 30th, 2019