Postdoc in Wound and Skin Infection Modelling
The Department of Pharmacy is offering a two-year postdoctoral fellowship within the field of skin and wound infection modelling and drug delivery assessment.
The project will be carried out within the newly established LEO Foundation Center for Cutaneous Drug Delivery
(LFCCDD), which is funded over a 10-year period by LEO Foundation and the University of Copenhagen. The Center integrates several disciplines, including molecular biology, immunology, microbiology, physical chemistry, peptidomics and pharmaceutics, to perform state-of-the-art research and to create innovative solutions within cutaneous drug delivery of both small and large molecules.
The successful applicant will be a member of the Novel Biological Models group and will have the opportunity for cross-disciplinary research in collaboration with the other sections of the Center as well as national and international collaborators.
The fellowship is available from the 15 February 2019 or as soon as possible thereafter.
There are great and unmet medical needs within the areas of dermatology and venereology. Many diseases, such as chronic ulcers, psoriasis and atopic dermatitis, are characterised by aberrant inflammation and reflect a complex pathogenesis, involving compromised skin barrier function, innate and adaptive immunity, as well as the presence of microbes. In our group, we aim to develop novel biological models, diagnostics and therapeutics for the treatment of skin and wound infections.
To test novel therapeutics, physiologically relevant in vitro, ex vivo and in vivo models are essential.
Your key tasks as a postdoc at the Faculty are to:
- Develop, evaluate and optimise cutaneous infection models
- Use these models to test novel therapeutics
- Write scientific manuscripts on the grounds of your research results
- Participate in national and international conferences and scientific meetings
- Participate in teaching activities at the department
We are looking for a highly motivated and enthusiastic scientist with the following competencies and experience:
As an applicant you must have:
- Obtained a relevant PhD degree prior to the starting date
- Proficiency in in vitro, ex vivo and/or in vivo wound or skin models
- Proficiency in fluorescence, confocal and/or electron microscopy and image analysis software.
- Proficiency in histology and IHC
- Experience with basic techniques for cell culture, bacterial culture, and molecular biology
- Fluency in English and excellent communication skills, both oral and written
The ideal candidate for this project has extensive experience in 2D and 3D in vitro wound and/or skin models, in vivo models, histology and microscopy. Furthermore, experience within LC-MS, drug delivery, and host-pathogen interactions in skin or wounds is an advantage.
Key criteria for the assessment of applicants
- Professional qualifications relevant to the project
- Previous publications
- Other professional activities and achievements
- Language skills
Place of employment
The place of employment is at the department of Pharmacy, University of Copenhagen. We offer creative and stimulating working conditions in a dynamic and international research environment.
Terms of employment
The employment as postdoc is a full time and fixed-term position for 2 years. Starting date is February 1st or as soon as possible thereafter
Salary, pension and terms of employment will be in accordance with the agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and AC (Danish Confederation of Professional Associations). Currently, the monthly salary starts at 33,766.93 DKK/ approx. 4,520 Euro (October 2018-level). Depending on qualifications, a supplement may be negotiated. The employer will pay an additional 17.1 % to your pension fund.
Non-Danish and Danish applicants may be eligible for tax reductions, if they hold a PhD degree and have not lived in Denmark the last 10 years.
The position is covered by the “Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff at the Universities” of June 28, 2013.
Your online application in English must be submitted electronically by clicking ‘Apply now’ below. Your application must include the following documents/attachments – all in PDF format:
- Cover letter (approx. one page) describing your background, qualifications, interest and motivation for applying for this position
- Full CV
- A certified/signed copy of a) PhD certificate and b) Master of Science certificate. If the PhD is not completed, a written statement with defence date from the supervisor will do.
- Other information for consideration, e.g. list of publications and relevant certificates
- Names and contact details of references and/or recommendation letters
Deadline for application
21.12.2018, 23:59 GMT+1. Please note that only online applications will be accepted.
Applications received later than this date, or which do not live up to the abovementioned requirements will not be considered.
Post application procedure
After the expiry of the deadline for applications, the authorized recruitment manager selects applicants for assessment on the advice of the hiring committee. All applicants are then immediately notified whether their application has been passed for assessment by an unbiased assessor. Once the assessment work has been completed, each applicant has the opportunity to comment on the part of the assessment that relates to the applicant him/herself.
The applicant will be assessed according to the Ministerial Order no. 242 of 13 March 2012 on the Appointment of Academic Staff at Universities.
University of Copenhagen wish to reflect the diversity of society and welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of age, disability, gender, nationality, race, religion or sexual orientation. Appointment will be based on merit alone.