One or more PhD positions in Machine Learning and Optimization are
available at the Data Science and Statistics group, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science (IMADA), University of Southern Denmark (SDU), Odense, Denmark.
The appointment will be made for a term of three years at a competitive
salary and will follow the general PhD study programmes at SDU.
The starting date is 15 September 2018 or soon thereafter. Application deadline: 6 September 2018.
The focus of the research will be on machine learning and optimization
techniques with applications in collaboration with external partners in
one or more of the following areas:
• Traffic modelling
• Autonomous systems
The candidate must have an MSc degree in Computer Science, Applied
Mathematics or an equivalent subject that provides background in
optimization and statistics. Experience in Machine Learning and
Optimization is required as well as fluency in English and excellent
programming capabilities in at least one scientific language (e.g.
Python, R, Julia).
Informal inquiries by e-mail to Associate Professor Marco Chiarandini
(email@example.com) are welcome, but do not constitute an application.
Application, salary etc.
Appointment as a PhD Research Fellow is for three years. Employment stops automatically at the end of the period. The holder of the scholarship is not allowed to have other paid employment during the three-year period.
The successful applicant will be employed in accordance with the agreement of 10 November 2015 on salaried PhD scholars between the Ministry of Finance and AC (the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations).
The successful candidate will be enrolled at this university in accordance with faculty regulations and the Danish Ministerial Order on the PhD Programme at the Universities (PhD order).
The University wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
Application must be made in the form of a Declaration of Interest including the following:
• A research proposal/description of your approach to the above project (max one page excluding references)
• A letter stating your specific interest, motivation and qualifications for the project in question (max. two pages) (please attach this under box “Application form”)
• Detailed CV, including personal contact information
• Copies of diplomas, Bachelor as well as Master’s degree, including transcript of notes/grades
• At least two signed reference letters. Should your referees wish to send their letters directly to us, please have them use e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning your name and the title of the position in the subject line. And please note that these also need to reach us before deadline.
Further information about the PhD-study can be found at the homepage of the University.
Applications must be submitted electronically using the link “Apply online”. Attached files must be in Adobe PDF or Word format. Each box can only contain a single file of max. 10 Mb. We strongly recommend that you read How to apply before you apply.
Incomplete applications and applications received after the deadline will neither be considered nor evaluated. This also applies to reference letters.
Further information for international applicants about entering and working in Denmark.
Deadline: 6 September 2018
Unit: The Faculty of Science
Read the job description and apply online
Post expires on Thursday September 6th, 2018