DTU Fotonik works with all areas of photonic engineering. Department is now seeking to employ a PhD student to conduct research on using metamaterial platform in biomedical applications, in particularly for detection of cardiac biomarkers.
Description of the PhD project
Detection and identification of trace amount of molecules has immense impact not only on fundamental research but also on the various applications from environmental monitoring to medical and clinical diagnosis. The mid-infrared absorption spectroscopy offers a unique label-free detection scheme thanks to the characteristic light absorption features of molecules in the mid-infrared wavelengths. However, the sizes of molecules are typically on the order of nanometers as opposed to microns of mid-infrared wavelengths, resulting in weak absorption features and making detection of low concentration and small changes extremely challenging.
Therefore, this PhD project aims at developing a sensing platform based on novel metamaterial structures to enhance the sensitivity of molecular detections in mid-infrared wavelengths. We especially aim at the detection of cardiac biomarkers, that is, certain proteins in blood, whose concentration serves as an indicator of “heart attack”, dramatically increasing when one’s heart has a problem.
Responsibilities and tasks
- Fabrication (major task): Fabrication of metamaterials at the state-of-the-art nanofabrication facility, DTU Danchip/Nanolab.
- Optical characterization (major task): Analyte preparation and detection of biomarker.
- Theory (minor task): Simulation and design of metamaterial nanostructures by using commercially available software (COMSOL, Lumerical).
- Dissemination of results through scientific publications, patents and conference presentations, Supervision of MSc or BSc students.
- The PhD study also comprises courses equivalent to 30 ECTS credits and an international secondment of 3-6 months duration.
Candidates should have a two-year master’s degree (120 ECTS points) in physics, nanotechnology, biophysics, photonics engineering/science or similar with an academic level equivalent to the MSc degree in engineering/Physics.
The candidate should possess most of the following:
- Ability to work independently, to plan and carry out complicated research tasks, and also to be a part of the large research team.
- Strong analytical skills and excellent judgment ability.
- Team spirit and excellent collaboration skills
- Computer proficiency. Ideally proficient in MATLAB.
- Experience in nanofabrication in clean room environment.
- Excellent communication skills, fluent written and oral English.
The scholarship for the PhD degree is subject to academic approval, and the candidate will be enrolled in one of the general degree programmes at DTU. For information about our enrolment requirements and the general planning of the PhD study programme, please see the DTU PhD Guide.
The assessment of the applicants will be made by Assoc. Andrei V. Lavrinenko, email@example.com and Prof. Peter Andersen, firstname.lastname@example.org.
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and appointment terms
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union. The period of employment is 3 years.
You can read more about career paths at DTU here.
For further information, please contact Assoc. Prof. Andrei V. Lavrinenko, email@example.com and Dr. Osamu Takayama, firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can read more about DTU Fotonik on www.fotonik.dtu.dk.
Please submit your online application no later than 31 January 2019 (local time). To apply, please open the link “Apply online”, fill out the online application form. The following must be attached in English:
- A letter motivating the application (cover letter)
- Curriculum vitae
- Grade transcripts and BSc/MSc diploma
- Excel sheet with translation of grades to the Danish grading system (see guidelines and Excel spreadsheet here)
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion, or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
DTU Fotonik has 210 employees with competences in optics and is one of the largest centers in the world based solely on research in photonics. Research is performed within optical sensors, lasers, LEDs, photovoltaics, ultra-high speed optical transmission systems, bio-photonics, nano-optics and quantum photonics.
DTU is a technical university providing internationally leading research, education, innovation and scientific advice. Our staff of 6,000 advance science and technology to create innovative solutions that meet the demands of society, and our 11,200 students are being educated to address the technological challenges of the future. DTU is an independent academic university collaborating globally with business, industry, government and public agencies.
Deadline: 31 January 2019
Unit: DTU Fotonik
Read the job description and apply online
Post expires on Thursday January 31st, 2019