SDU Biotechnology section at Department of Chemical Engineering, Biotechnology and Environmental Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, University of Southern Denmark (SDU) invites applications for one 3-year PhD position and one 3-year post doc position in bioimaging. The position is funded by a Danish Funding source to unravel the composition and impact of nano-domains in live mammalian cells by spatiotemporal florescence and super-resolution microscopy. The PhD position is available from 1st of September 2018 or as soon as possible thereafter. The postdoc position is available from 1st of October 2018 or as soon as possible thereafter.
The project concerns imaging of nano-domains in live and fixed cells. Selected membrane proteins will be imaged using super-resolution microscopy, photoactivated localization microscopy and 3D imaging. Nano-domains and membrane proteins will be studied using those techniques.
Requirements to complete a PhD at SDU
- Complete a study programme of 30 ECTS points
- Participate in teaching and dissemination activities (e.g. conferences) corresponding to approx. one semester of full time employment
- Carry out an external research stay.
- Complete a PhD thesis. According to the rules for a PhD thesis at the Faculty of Engineering at SDU the thesis must include internationally scientific peer-reviewed articles.
- Publicly defend your PhD thesis.
The successful applicant for the PhD position should have:
- MSc in science, engineering, pharmaceutical sciences, biophysics or a related specialization.
- The ideal candidate for the position already has experience with one or more of the following subjects: Bioimaging, biophysics, cell culture, analysis of fluorescence microscopy images and membrane proteins. The candidate must expect to be working with all of these areas during the PhD project and will get the sufficient training in the subjects that he or she is not familiar with.
The successful applicant for the postdoc position should have:
- PhD in science, engineering, pharmaceutical sciences, biophysics or a related specialization.
- The ideal candidate for the position already has experience with one or more of the following subjects: Bioimaging, biophysics, cell culture, analysis of fluorescence microscopy images and membrane proteins. The candidate must expect to be working with all of these areas during the post doc project and will get the sufficient training in the subjects that he or she is not familiar with.
Further information is available from Associate Professor Eva Arnspang Christensen, phone: +45 65504682, e-mail: email@example.com.
Application, salary and conditions of employment etc.
The PhD fellowship is a 3-year position. The post doc position is a 3-years position (1-year, can be extended with two more years).
Employment is governed by the Protocol on PhD Research Fellows signed by the Danish Ministry of Finance and AC (the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations), Cirkulære om overenskomst for Akademikere i staten 2015.
Applications must be submitted electronically using the link below. Attached files must be in Adobe PDF or Word format. Each box can only contain a single file of max. 10 Mb.
An application must include:
- Completed application form (Link to Application Form)
- A curriculum vitae
- A letter stating your interest, motivation etc. Please attach the motivational letter to “application material” under ” Research plan”
- Letters of reference (Link to reference form)
- Verified copies* of bachelor diploma and transcript
- Verified copies* of master’s diploma and transcript
- Verified copies* of PhD diploma and transcript (for the post doc position)
- Calculation of point grade average (Link to calculator sheet with instructions)
*Please note the definition of verified:
Verified official transcripts of exams in English or Danish translation and verified copy of bachelor diploma and master’s diploma – All documentation must be officially translated into English or Danish. All documents must be verified. Verified means that your home university or a public notary verifies that the copy is a true copy of the original document. Each page of the copy must be stamped with the original stamp of the verifying institution and added the text: “True copy of the original document” and signed with a blue pen.
The University encourages all interested persons to apply, regardless of age, gender, religious affiliation or ethnic background.
Further information for international applicants about entering and working in Denmark.
Further information about the PhD programme at the faculty and SDU can be found at:
The SDU PhD webpages
The faculty PhD website
Deadline: 1 June 2018
Unit: Faculty of Engineering
Read the job description and apply online
Post expires on Friday June 1st, 2018